2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to see her today and I wanted her bad! But, we are full as always so can anyone help by fostering her or even adopting her? If nothing else, we could board her for one month for about $150.00. That would at least keep her safe till we can make a spot. This is a really good dog. We get pictures DAILY asking for help, and most we have to pass up because we have no room. But there was just something about her picture that got to me. When I went to visit her I was amazed at how calm and loving she was. And she is beautiful! Can you help???

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
I used to work at a puppy-mill farm.... It forever ruined my dreams of ever becoming a vet, since I learned a substantial part of a rural income would have to deal with lonely dogs who were kept in close confined spaces..... I can feel for that dog....Mind if I ask if it is an Akita?

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
fostering should not be done without thinking very hard about it.

you could keep a dog for days, weeks....months even until the right adoptee comes along.

part of being a foster is evaluating the dog and preparing it for it's new life with a new family. That may mean some obedience training or correcting bad habits.

oh - and don't get attached while you keep it. That's why I don't foster - I'd never be able to give one up easily.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Belinda,

May I ask if you work in the animal control industry? ...I understand that millions of pets are euthanized every year. It is why I always advocate for wanton pet owners to visit local shelters and impoundments to truly rescue a potential loved one.

Heck, its hard enough to preach conseveration and thinking we are making a "head-way" when out on the jetty, only to look over at that 300 lb gorilla putting 50 undersized trout into his ice chest! .....Maybe the feelings are largely in our heads, but it sure does feel good to have something worthwhile and legal to rescue. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Great reply, speckle-catcher... Our family fostered a young Lavender-colored Labrador Retriever way back in the day....My arm was its chew toy....I couldn't wait to come home to have it eat my homework.....And who said it was a cliche, that to tell a teacher the next day that "I'm sorry...<weep...weep.>..but my dog ate my homework!"

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Yet another "I cant see crab n fisher. **** dude you dont like alot of us here

I didnt mean to hijack your thread, if I lived closer to you I would be a full to foster human. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Blue,

I have no one on ignore..... I know of a couple moderators of whom I am allegedly on their "bad side", for whatever reason, but I'm not gonna pinpoint why my posts have a slight time-lag.... I have no idea....And it is just me....It seems to happen frequently on the sub-forum at Aunt Joyce's Place as well....It may be a simply computer glitch.

I wouldn't worry about it, unless you are a..... Spurs fan! LOL :D Mavericks won in 2006 ....man, you are behind the times!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Belinda how old is she. I'll talk to my wife. She has been wanting a dog but it has to be the right one. Our granddaughters are here on weekends alot so she would have to be gentle with young kids (3 & 7).

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
If I didn't have 2 dogs already I'd take (adopt) her right now. I've always wanted some "salt" to go with the "pepper" (black Lab female named Maggie) I already have.

God, she's beautiful. I know she and Maggie would get along famously.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, as Speckle-Catcher said it does require some time and some work. While most of our dogs get adopted within a couple of months, some have stayed much longer. We want you to work on the basics, like crate training and house training. You provide the food, transportation, and love. We will pay for the vetting, but you must use one of our vets because we have a few that will work with us on the cost. We do require you to fill out an application, and we also do a "home visit" to make sure the dog will be kept in a secure and safe environment.

And it is not the end of the world if you decide to keep the dog! We call that a foster failure!!!:D You would just have to pay the adoption fee. The dog got out alive, and now has a new loving family. What more could we ask for! (Except another foster home!!)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Belinda,

You have a heart worth more than it's weight in gold! :)

I have a lot of horror stories from working with, upwards, of 900-1200 dogs at a time.....Some things are just too horrible for me to mention here on this site...Just put it this way, I turned the owners in and I can sleep calmly at night.....

It seems you are in a position I should have sought out many a moon ago.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Tealman! I think she is about 3 or 4 years old. They have had her at the shelter for a couple of weeks now so she really needs to get out of there. How is that black lab working out for your friend?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts