2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I went I saw the park rangers ridin four-wheelers along the beach at PINS. can I take mine down there to ride around... not to go in the dunes but just on the beach? .......JJ

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well fooie! i guess im bike bound now...thanx steve for the answer...JJ

·
Registered
60 Posts
You might be able to. A DPS officer friend of mine said they passed a law last year that you can ride four wheelers on public roadways, but you must have a slow moving vehicle tiangle on it like tractors use. Look it up. Most people don't know about this law yet.

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
Gotta remember that the beaches are actually part of the State road system. Galveston County will issue a license plate to a golf cart if the owner puts the slow moving vehicle triangle and the appropriate lights on one. Don't know if that applies to all counties, though.

DPS might be able to fill you in on exactly what it is you will need.

Also, remember that the State speed limit on the beaches is 15 mph. Can't go zipping along at 40+ mph like you can on private property (even though it's pretty darn good fun!). Could get you a pretty hefty ticket should a law enforcement type actually be there and decide to pursue the matter.

Good luck finding out and have fun!

GY

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Galveston Yankee said:
Galveston County will issue a license plate to a golf cart if the owner puts the slow moving vehicle triangle and the appropriate lights on one.
I've always known that if a vehicle has a triangle on it that a license is not required. Tractors can drive right through town if they want as long as that sign is on back. My uncle has done just that. At minimum headlights are needed. You can signal with your arms out the side if turning or braking. I am to lazy to look up the law so not sure if I am 100% right.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just a thought but why would I need blinkers? its just a long straight away at the beach. correct me if I am wrong. .... JJ

·
Administrator
23,854 Posts
J, it's 4 way flashers and a big triangle for tractors. I ran into a guy in Austin a long time ago that went to all the trouble to get a 3 wheeler street legal. It was a sight to see him heading down the road. That was before 4 wheelers even existed.

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
JJ,

Yeah, but what if you want to get back to where you started? Bet you don't back up the beach!!!!! I'ld be checking with TWPD and/or DPS before heading down there just to be on the safe side.

InfamousJ, you are probably right about the plate not being needed for tractors and other slow moving stuff. Don't know if the tractor doesn't need it because it's considered farm equipment. Galveston required, then unrequired, plates on the golf carts a few years ago. Then again, Galveston's usually pretty confused most of the time, anyway.

Tom

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,077 Posts
Not sure about the legality of it but there were several folks riding 4 wheelers & go carts on Surfside beach between access RD 6 & SLP on Saturday and no one bothered them.

Last year during springbreak there were tons of them on the beachs @ Port A.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Down in Crystal Beach, they are writing tickets for this type of thing. First, they tell you to get it off the beach immediately. Then, they write you a ticket.

Check section 15.04 of the pdf link previously posted - must be inspected to be on a public road, no inspection for ATV's. Not that that provision tells the whole story. Its at least part of it.

At the same time, enforcment in Crystal Beach seems to ebb and flow.

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
BearCat and Brew (The other yankee),

Surfside ain't Galveston - fo' sure! Once you are east of the city limits of Surfside, the Brazoria deputies will pretty much leave you alone to enjoy the day as long as no one else is complaining.

I've seen 4-wheelers lately on the beaches of Galveston down in front of the soon-to-be-super-duper Centex development that were not stopped by the deputy for hire security patrol. That may be because that section of beach will be closed just as soon as the great centex gets the infrastructure and access points in place and the city issues the first building construction permit. I guess they just don't give a _ _ _ _ anymore.

I guess you have to pick and choose where it is you want to ride. Crystal Beach and Galveston Island may very well get you a ticket. Can't say for sure about SPI.

Tom

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
PINS wont even let you through the gate of the park if they see a 4 wheeler in the bed of the truck or on a trailer.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
In Crystal Beach the Hwy Patrol were the only ones writing tickets. The judge is throwing them out. You can only drive 4 wheelers with a slow moving tag. If they don't go over 28 mph. Electric scooters can be driven on the beach or road if they will not go over 28 mph. They are concidered in the same class as a electric wheelchair. I think I got this right.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
Any deputy or trooper I've asked about riding a 4 wheeler on Crystal Beach basically said thas long as you are not:

1. drunk
2. driving like a dumbazz

they will not wirte you a ticket. Then again, my house is 3 miles from the Zoo and most of the police tend to hang out down there.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
InfamousJ said:
PINS wont even let you through the gate of the park if they see a 4 wheeler in the bed of the truck or on a trailer.
hmmmmmmmm maybe I could hide it in a covered trailer (wells fargo type) that just might do it....

from what I've herad the gate men aint there before 7 am or so and after 9 pm or so. well I dont wanna get on the bad side of the law so maybe I can take a golf cart instead of a 4-wheeler. juts a thought... thanx guys........JJ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts