2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Borders, language, culture
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in our private lake in north of Huntsville? I would consider it to be a nuisance since it approximately 6 feet long and our kids and dog swim in the lake.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
Private lake? Private setting? Rope with big hook and whole chicken? .45 cal pistol accidentally went off? Nobody saw what happened?

Nahhh, you cant just shoot it out of season, etc.

·
Registered
169 Posts
ALLIGATORS Alligators may only be taken with a department issued Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) hide tag and an alligator hunting license. CITES tags are issued only to the landowner or agent in selected areas of the coastal and inland tracts with suitable habitat and acreage based upon nesting surveys. For information about tag requirements, contact the J.D. Murphree Wildlife Management office at (409) 736-2551. Rules and licensing requirements for the take, possession, and sale of alligators or their parts are covered in another guide. Call (800) 792-1112 (menu 5) for the guide called Alligator Regulations.

·
Banned
137 Posts
If anything, try to get it moved by the TPWD. I mean its not like you're going to kill it for food, or anything like that. I mean, as much as everyone talks conservation on the board, I'd expect that to be the first priority. I know people will say, "but the children are in danger." and things along those lines. But there are other places for them to swim. Thats a decision that is made by both them and you. That gator doesn't know he isn't wanted there. He just knows that to be his home, and just like you would defend yours against a robber, he will defend his against someone trying to move in. The kill it to get rid of it attitude is just not any sort of conservation attitude I've ever heard of. It's dissapointing to read such remarks on here.

Juan

·
Borders, language, culture
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LordGareth said:
The kill it to get rid of it attitude is just not any sort of conservation attitude I've ever heard of. It's dissapointing to read such remarks on here.

Juan
Juan, I'm not sure exactly where you are coming from. So this weekend if we find a copperhead or water mocasin around the cabin (which we often do) should I call TP&W or should I just put a bullet in it?

I probably won't shoot the thing, now that I have my answer. But then again....

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I Thought About This Type Situation Before....

One day about a year ago, while I was up at Los Alamos working hard, I E-Mailed the TPWD as I had a question regarding what to do if I was wade fishing in an area where gator populations were increasing and ask him, "In the event I was positioned off the shoreline some distance and Mr. (or Mrs.) gator started a unfearful approach, would it be wise to have on-hand a weapon such as a pistol?" He simply said, "stay away from them and you won't get hurt." I ask the question again being more diplomatic in terms of 'all of a sudden, he popped out of nowhere...' and in the manner characteristic of a law enforcement officer who is not getting enough fiber in his diet or in need of Preparation H he said, "Sir, I don't know how to make it more clear to you, avoid these animals and they will not harm you!"

I thought to myself, "OKAY I'll carry a landing net on a tag-line and a sharp machette strapped to my belt. I saw Johnny Weismueller once get it on with a Croc. in a Tarzan movie like this.

Kinda' like Yosimite Sam, "Now take that you no good for nothin, no eared, long nosed galoot!" LOL! CF? :headknock

·
Banned
137 Posts
A copperhead or watermocasin would be easily removed, why would you have to put a bullet in its head? My point is this. Its not the animal who has invaded your space, even in the case with a snake which may find its way near your cabin. They don't see yardlines or streets as boundaries, and its unfortunate for both them and us that they don't. We being the "superior being" on the planet, should be able to have more of a solution to dealing with a "lesser animal" in our area rather than "shoot it". It wasn't long ago that these animals were almost extinct! Meaning no more. The rate of decline in their numbers was one of the most dramatic I know of. Sure, they've rebounded over the past 20 years or so, but they didn't do it by people just wanting to shoot them because they live near them. That was the approach that contributed to their decline initially, with many other factors as well. The point is, its a living creature that has just as much right to live, if not more, than any one of us. Children and pets are innocent, yes. But what makes them more innocent than this creature? What makes their desire to play in water justify the shooting of an animal that doesn't go to that water to play, but goes their because it has to in order to survive? Sorry man, just doesn't make any sense to me to look at it any other way. There's no reason to kill the animal.

Juan

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Juan ... I still catch spiders and wasps that make it inside and release them outdoors. I scoop up earthworms from the pavement after it rains and take them to the garden. I catch snakes (not poisonous) and turtles I come across and take them out and let them go. I have had people look at me funny when I have done these things more than once.

I'm with you, man. I hope you can make it to Sansone's...

·
J-Fish
192 Posts
You know there are people that you can call for an alternative that remove and release... I have seen them on the news... but don't have a clue to who they are. Most people would take care of the problem themself but we do live in a world of "Man pushing out the beast".

Buy the way, eat the tail and leave all that dark meat alone.

Good luck. Don't expect much out of TPWD except them telling you to stay out of there habitat.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Pooof! Alligator must have move on...

I am old, and certainly lack the "political correctness" of all the younger generation--BUT--my land, my lake, my dogs, my children, my alligator! If I were in that situation, the problem would be taken care of, and no one would know about it to chastise me. Alligators are not endangered anymore. Sometimes trying to conform to all the government regulations and restraints just get in the way of common sense and are way too much a hassle than just taking the direct "get it done" approach.

Later
R3F

·
Registered
798 Posts
Red3Fish said:
I am old, and certainly lack the "political correctness" of all the younger generation--BUT--my land, my lake, my dogs, my children, my alligator! If I were in that situation, the problem would be taken care of, and no one would know about it to chastise me. Alligators are not endangered anymore. Sometimes trying to conform to all the government regulations and restraints just get in the way of common sense and are way too much a hassle than just taking the direct "get it done" approach.

Later
R3F
And if everyone took that attitude, there would be a return to the late 1800's where the wildlife stocks had been almost exhausted. Remember the buffalo? Remember when alligators were endangered? It took responsible people to save these speicies. Remember too that wildlife belong to the people, not the landowner, it ain't your alligator!...it's ours.

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
If it were my property, lake, kids and pooch, this wouldn't even come up on the board. The gator meat would be in the freezer and the hide cleaned already.

As for the water moccasin, he'ld be dead, too. They just are not good creatures to get around. Too aggressive. A rattler would rather go in the other direction than have to deal with humans and I probably wouldn't bother with it. Water moccasins have a tendency to look for trouble.

GY

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Shouldn't this Thread be moved to the Conservation Crossfire, Password protected Board? :rotfl: :slimer:

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
I also remember the story of a farmer who couldn't plow his fields because environmental whackos thought that an endangered mouse lived there. Took the guy's livelihood right out from under him. That's what I call responsible!

Then there's the story of the guy who had 25 acres of his property declared wetlands by the EPA after the county or state (forgot which) had done some road work nearby and plugged the stream that ran through his property. Caused some flooding of the land. When he went to unplug the stream, he was told he couldn't do that, nor could he cut any of the timber or otherwise disturb his property.

Buffalo were slaughtered by well-to-do folks who pulled up on a train in the middle of the heards and shot them from the windows. Then they left them to die and rot in the sun. They were also slaughtered by people on horseback who knew to kill the dominant buffalo and the rest would just stand there and be killed.

The gators were hunted to near extinction because of their hides. Made great boots and purses. But that has happened to many species for the sake of rich folks' vanity.

Killing an alligator that is on your property and poses a potentially lethal threat to your loved ones is different. And, as I said before, he'ld be in the freezer and would've become a campfire story to tell.

GY

·
Registered
798 Posts
Galveston Yankee said:
If it were my property, lake, kids and pooch, this wouldn't even come up on the board. The gator meat would be in the freezer and the hide cleaned already.

As for the water moccasin, he'ld be dead, too. They just are not good creatures to get around. Too aggressive. A rattler would rather go in the other direction than have to deal with humans and I probably wouldn't bother with it. Water moccasins have a tendency to look for trouble.

GY
So you would break the law? You know, someone always talks. One of the kids braging at school how his old man shot an alligator is over heard by a teacher, he/she reports it, an investigation, the hide is found with no tag. Now what? It happens everyday.
The simple thing to do is contact the local game warden and request it removed. It happens every day.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Stuart said:
So this weekend if we find a copperhead or water mocasin around the cabin (which we often do) should I call TP&W or should I just put a bullet in it?

QUOTE]

If you put moth balls all around the outside of your cabin you won't see anymore snakes.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts