2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I would stick to 4.5, he has a pretty thick jaw line, and his neck ends very low on his brisquit. Since he is in the hill country, he could even be older. You will be able to tell better when he builds his neck up.
Keep us posted.
BB

·
Trap AF ...
4,992 Posts
Ehhhhhh ... I don't know guys, I think it's the same buck going to and coming from somewhere off camera. That'd be pretty typical of a deer to do, plus if you take a good look at the end of his main beams ...

There seems to be a lot of similarity in his hip structure as well.

·
It ain't easy bein me.........
13,531 Posts
Man, I got that top deer at full blown mature. Look at the hindquarters, chest, and even pretty good sized neck for this time of year. Mid section looks like a 55gal. drum. And I just can't put that bottom deer at any more than 3.5, still leggy.......If those are one and the same, just shows how hard aging is and the difference between 2 pics....

Bret

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
agree top deer is mature 5.5+ that second deer is a 3.5. Good to see a deer made to that age in the Leaky area. I'm having a hard time telling if they are the same buck. At first glance I thought they were butttttt.....I don't know about that. Judging from a game cam is tough sometimes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd say 4.5. I think it's same deer. Look at how the end of the main beams turn up. If not the same deer, I bet they had the same daddy.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
If he's protein fed, he can appear older than what the body build shows, and then you have to rely on jaw line, loose or sagging skin on his jowls, etc...

I would say he's middle aged and if you are feeding protein, and can keep him alive for two more years, he'll be a very respectable deer. Nice Moultrie pics.

Brete said:
Man, I got that top deer at full blown mature. Look at the hindquarters, chest, and even pretty good sized neck for this time of year. Mid section looks like a 55gal. drum. And I just can't put that bottom deer at any more than 3.5, still leggy.......If those are one and the same, just shows how hard aging is and the difference between 2 pics....

Bret

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We just started protein feeding this past summer. I've had a camera out all year and this is the first time I've seen this/these bucks. They could be getting protein fed from another source I'm sure.

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
James, you can always check his teeth...after you've dropped him! LOL.

Just kidding, I'm inclined to think they are needing another year - that is if the neighbors will agree and your lease partners will too. If you don't think he'll survive the other hunters in your area, then take the shot if it presents itself. He's not a baby, that's for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts