2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To follow are a couple of pictures of a piece of bone my son found Sunday. It was found in Rockport, TX on the bottom, in the canal behind our house in Key Allegro. It is shaped like a pectoral fin, hard like bone and has an apparent ball socket in one corner. I cannot think of any species it might belong to. Nothing I can think of has hard pecs. The only thing I can think of is possibly some type of turtle. I would appreciate any an all opinions.

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No not a shark tooth. I've seen many of them and it ain't one. It appears to have been hinged. Like I said it has a ball socket in one corner. If you look closely you can see it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Opercular bone

It looks like the opercular bone of a fish. Couldn't tell you the species but it's one of three bones that form the hard shield over the gills.

Lance

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gary said:
Can you get an end view? Is it like a fin?
Yes it's lie a fin. Sharp along one edge with a ball socket in the corner of the other. Here are end views:

·
Banned
355 Posts
I'll put my money on Mr. R. everytime.

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did a little looking on the internet. And I'm inclined to agree it is one of the opercular bones from a fish. The little ball socket is what got me to thinking it was a fin of some type. I just kinda wish I knew the species. It seems like it would have had to be a pretty sizeable fish. Although, being in that canal, it could be anything. People around there not only clean inshore, but, offshore species as well in that area. Guess we may never know.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
only thing I can think of is......

...we hava been invaded by alians! ;) no joke

1 - 12 of 12 Posts