2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on doing an overnight trip on Friday night somewhere along the Texas coast within about 2-3 hours driving distance from Houston. Any suggestions? We won't have a boat, just shore / bank / pier fishing. We will be taking my 2 year old daughter for the first time fishing. We plan to bring our tent, wake up early, and hopefully catch something decent--trout, sheepshead, whiting, what have you.

Any thoughts? We were originally thinking Galveston State Park, but perhaps we should head south along the coast where the water is cleaner? Matagorda? Corpus?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think a State Park might be the way to go. Give Goose Island State Park a look. Rockport area, lighted pier, and more.

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,467 Posts
x2.. I have been to these parks with the tent, kids and yak many times. The South winds will probally tear up the parks some, but you should be able to find some good water..The guts on the bridge /peir holds sheeps and trout.

Lots to do with Kids around Goose Is St Pk as well. Always a good time there..
I think a State Park might be the way to go. Give Goose Island State Park a look. Rockport area, lighted pier, and more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Goose Island

Thanks for the suggestion. I'lll have to give Goose Island a try. Is the Copano Bay State Fishing pier the one you recommend?

Downside is that they are forecasting 20 mph winds on Saturday. Not sure if that is going to make the water really dirty.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I don't know about fishing from the piers but always see people on the Copano bridge. I love on the bay and crpss it daily. The State Park portion is the old bridge with a break in the middle but you can enter from either side with a bait shop on entrance. Also goose island state park also has a very nice lighted pier inside the park. They are only about 5min from each other. You will also pass Pops when you turn off the highway when headed to goose island. It's s hole on the wall bat/restaurant with a pretty good burger and fresh oysters. Or check out Caroline's for cheap and amazing breakfast or lunch across from JJ's car wash just passed the airport as you are heading into town if y'all are looking to eat out. Small place and not the quickest but well worth the wait.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I don't know about fishing from the piers but always see people on the Copano bridge. I love on the bay and crpss it daily. The State Park portion is the old bridge with a break in the middle but you can enter from either side with a bait shop on entrance. Also goose island state park also has a very nice lighted pier inside the park. They are only about 5min from each other. You will also pass Pops when you turn off the highway when headed to goose island. It's s hole on the wall bat/restaurant with a pretty good burger and fresh oysters. Or check out Caroline's for cheap and amazing breakfast or lunch across from JJ's car wash just passed the airport as you are heading into town if y'all are looking to eat out. Small place and not the quickest but well worth the wait.
Good info. Ive fished the Copano bridge once but didn't do too well. Only caught a dink.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts