2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Some views but no posts. There are many shallow areas in the bank and some very steep drop offs, especially to the west just beyond the bay of campeche. I figured most species in the gulf may be near the western drop off from the bank. Also, I don't know if oil rigs are in the area. I don't know if a 3 or 4 day charter (Port A, Port Isabell) could get there, if it would even be worth it or safe, or if you could get there from a Mexican port. Things like this stir my curiosity. Just dreaming of big fricking fish. http://www.gulfbase.org/facts.php

·
Registered
640 Posts
Veracruz is further than 3 hours. It isn't easy driving to Tampico (4hrs) and Veracruz is much further down. PEMEX has oil rigs in Champeche. I have always wanted to fish there and the islands north of the Yucatan.

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
Argo,
If my memory serves me correctly it is more than a 3 hr drive to Veracruz from Brownsville. I believe it is more like 6-8 if you take the gulf highway. It took us 13hrs from Veracruz to Corpus a few years back.
I have sailed by the Alacran reef on the eastern side of the campeche bank, on the way to Progreso, Yucatan. We didnt fish because we were in a race. That part would be a long haul from Veracruz. I have heard that the fishing is pretty good around the campeche bank area. There are some Islands off of Tuxpan/tampico area that have good fishing. We Stopped off at Isla de Lobos on the way back to Corpus (via sailboat) and speared some grouper. Saw lots of fish on the live coral.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts