2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a cast iron pot belly wood stove to use as a camphouse heater does anybody know where I can find one preferably a used one. I would like one of the smaller upright with a 4" stove pipe outlet.Any info would be great. Thanks

·
Banned
938 Posts
My Wife and I went to the Flea Market there in San Antonio. I don't remember the name but it was like Exit 178 and they had SOOOOOO much antique items there. I remember seeing a BUNCH of old Cast Iron Heaters, etc. You may want to check it out if your close by.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RubenZamora said:
My Wife and I went to the Flea Market there in San Antonio. I don't remember the name but it was like Exit 178 and they had SOOOOOO much antique items there. I remember seeing a BUNCH of old Cast Iron Heaters, etc. You may want to check it out if your close by.
I am about 3 hours away but if I go through S.A. I might look it up. I wonder if they have a website.

·
Infidel
3,523 Posts
Check the thickness on whatever cast iron stove you buy. A lot of cheap junk is out there that will crack on you in the middle of the night.

·
KneeDeep&Sink'n
704 Posts
It's been a long time but...

I do remember that some cast iron stoves will hold the heat a lot better than others. They use a lot less wood and if you are not careful, they will make you get up and open a window or two to cool off. Some will burn a lot more wood but put out very little heat compared to the others. Might want to check into this before you buy.

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
Ive got a Corner fireplace thats just sittin outside that would be good for a camp or??
I'll give ya it.... if ya want it..its not a stove..
but its free..

·
Registered
485 Posts
Whatever you do make sure it is installed properly and have a carbon monoxide detector in your canp. I lost several good friends about 25 years ago. They went hunting in Colorado and stayed in a cabin that had a pot bellied stove in it for heat. Went to sleep the first night and never woke up. Three of them died and only one survived..

·
Registered
485 Posts
txcowpoke said:
Wow, What happened did they not crack a window open to ventalate?
Not exactly sure of the details of what happened but it was a tragic deal. I think you can buy a battery powered detector for about $20. I think it would be a great investment.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
PortATrout said:
Not exactly sure of the details of what happened but it was a tragic deal. I think you can buy a battery powered detector for about $20. I think it would be a great investment.
Good advice!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts