2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to build a camo rod for my friend. I was gunna split grip and wrap the space with deer hide. Then get camo eva. Then im either going to do a tiger wrap with green and grey. Or marble Green and grey then wrap the guides green and grey. What yall think? And i would love suggestions that would even make it better.

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Registered
892 Posts
I probably wouldn't do a tiger wrap with that theme. In my mind it would clash.
On second thought, if you did one with a black top layer and green/grey bottom maybe?

Did you know you can get fully camo finish blanks?
If you get a camo'ed blank & would wrap the guides in black.

Your going to have trouble with the seam doing the deer hide. I assume you would cover it with finish or something?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probably wouldn't do a tiger wrap with that theme. In my mind it would clash.

Did you know you can get fully camo finish blanks?
If you get a camo'ed blank & would wrap the guides in black.

Your going to have trouble with the seam doing the deer hide. I assume you would cover it with finish or something?
I will look into the camo blanks. And i was gunna spray the hide with a spray adhesive, then wrap it around so it would stick then epoxy over it brushing the hairs one way. I hope it works i have a blank that im gunna try it on first to see how it turns out.

Have any better ideas?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the hair will be a nightmare but if I'm wrong it could look cool. Testing is always a good thing.

MudHole has camo blanks and I know another company offers them too. Try FTU first!
I work for FTU and they dont. haha. A guy came in and did one with cow hide on the cork and it turned out pretty good. Maybe if i brushed the hairs down first with some kinda of fast drying glue. To where it wouldnt push thro the expoy as much.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Try some "clear fingernail polish" to lay the hair down, sets fast and dries quick and if ya screw up it can come off with remover.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
If you work at the store on Fuqua then I would certainly consult Joey Ibarra with your idea. He can probably give you some tips on gluing the skin on the blank. I think the Tiger Wrap would be OK as long as your thread colors went along with the camo theme. For me the camo blank would take away from the work you are going to do with the skin and Tiger. That is just a personal opinion and it would not buy me a cup of coffee anywhere.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you work at the store on Fuqua then I would certainly consult Joey Ibarra with your idea. He can probably give you some tips on gluing the skin on the blank. I think the Tiger Wrap would be OK as long as your thread colors went along with the camo theme. For me the camo blank would take away from the work you are going to do with the skin and Tiger. That is just a personal opinion and it would not buy me a cup of coffee anywhere.
I work in the reel shop with joey and trust me i have been asking him and terry many questions.

·
Retired opinionated old fart
19,894 Posts
Whether an artist paints with oils, writes poems or music, or makes rods, I think they learn from others but also follow their heart on what they want to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts