2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
What you missed!!
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you use a call and or rattle for bucks durning the season or do you opt to sit watch what comes by letting nature take its course?

Until this morning I had never really tried to call a buck into the stand. I did a little lite rattling with no response but about an hour later I gave the call a few hits and here comes a boy a running in and looking around (like where did you go)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i've had good luck rattling for buck and have taken some of my biggest bucks like that. The best time is pre rut, rut or post rut. Most of your big boys will show up pre or early rut looking to fight.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Use a hail call and when they commit finish them with a feed chuckle.

JK i've never had luck (personally) rattling. If I see one way off a grunt will usually get their attention. IDK about bringing them in, though

·
15,099 Posts
I rattle all season NOV AND DEC only, every year in every state or province I've hunted.
Rattled in pleny of nice bucks........including some nice mule deer.
Far as I know, it dont hurt....

·
Certified Animal Chiropractor
7,652 Posts
Works best pre rut and rut in my opinion before the bucks start locking down with the does.. works good for a 2-3 week period.. not saying they won't respond other times but for the mature bucks this is my experience..Walker

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Almost had two in my lap this weekend coming into grunt calls and rattling. Yes, it does work, but it works the best in areas where the buck/doe ratio is low. If you have 20 does to 1 buck, doesn't hardly work at all.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
calls

Use rattling horns a lot. Love to walk and rattle. Killed a few this way, but called in a bunch. Had one so close he threw dirt on me when he slammed on the brakes. Tried to turn inside out turning around. I use a grunt call in the hill country, I have called in some real nice bucks. Grunt calls are real good when they get in the brush and you want them to come back.
I do not just sit and grunt, and seldom rattle from the blind. I grunt when I need them to stop or come back.
BB

·
Is it really Monday again?
1,120 Posts
I shot one of my biggest bucks by rattling. I was walking back after an unsuccessful morning hunt when I decided to stop and rattle a few times. After the second or third rattle attempt and a few stomps on the ground a nice 8 point exploded out of some really thick brush. He was definitely looking for a fight and I know I wouldn't have seen him without trying to rattle him up. I'm a believer.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Ya know I have rattled up plenty deer but I have never heard a deer make any noise except blowing at me in my 50 year history of hunting deer. I guess they do because folks make calls for them and maybe they work. Whatever makes you happy but I do not own a call or do plan on buying one (at this late date)

Charlie

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,567 Posts
Yep but I have had luck with it all season long, pre, during and post rut. They know what the noise is suppose to be and usually will come just to see what's up but some come to fight.

Also a varmint call will sure bring in the deer; dying rabbit must confuse them with a fawn call.

TH

·
GOT WHEELS NOW
1,226 Posts
a grunt snort wheeze works for me ( many bucks will return for a shot)
far better than a plain grunt call does= 0 called back for shot

·
Make America Great Again!!!
2,173 Posts
The past 2 weekends I have had great luck with a grunt call. I'll blow it and literally 30 seconds later they come running out looking for a fight. No BS.
So far i've only called in small bucks, little 8 pts & 4pt. Like they'd have a chance with a monster in a fight. But they come running. I will be trying it once again this weekend.
This is the first year I've used one & I am very pleased.
I played witht he 4pt for an hour or so, everytime he left i'd blow it and he'd come back looking.

·
Registered
197 Posts
CHARLIE, if youhave never heard the different noises deer make you need to take up bow hunting. It is amazing how many different sounds they make, when and how they make them and the different tones. It can be tough to hear while sitting in a blind 100 yards away.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have had the most luck with the rattling horns and the grunt tube. I have tried the doe in estrus can call and all that brought in was coyotes. I have better luck using the horns and getting bigger bucks (5 years and older) between thanksgiving and Christmas but that might be just our place. And we have a great ratio of bucks to does as close to 1 to 1 as we can get it.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Ya know I have rattled up plenty deer but I have never heard a deer make any noise except blowing at me in my 50 year history of hunting deer. I guess they do because folks make calls for them and maybe they work. Whatever makes you happy but I do not own a call or do plan on buying one (at this late date)

Charlie
Sunday morning I had a young 8pt with several does at a feeder...that
buck was the most vocal deer I've seen in a long time. He was constantly
grunting and chasing the does around (not rut activity, he was protecting
his corn). You would have thought that with all the noise he was making
other bucks would have come to investigate, but no others showed up and
our lease is covered up with bucks, so I know others were around.

I've rattled with some success and I will use a grunt to get a buck to
come for a closer look...

·
Registered
473 Posts
CHARLIE, if youhave never heard the different noises deer make you need to take up bow hunting. It is amazing how many different sounds they make, when and how they make them and the different tones. It can be tough to hear while sitting in a blind 100 yards away.
I had never heard a buck grunt until I started bow hunting it was pretty cool hearing this little two year old buck walking around grunting looking for the buck that had been grunting (me blowing the grunt call). I like the feeling of fooling mother nature ( using horns and other hand calls).

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I have called a couple with a grunt and a lot with a varmit call. With the varmit they are usually running to help to fawn. Never had any luck with rattling but have to admit I have only tried a few times.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts