2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get a new drag installed on an older Abu 6000 (I think its a 1972). Standard setup. When I tore the reel apart to clean it the drag washers looked original and the drag only produced light tention. I ordered some Carbontex washers from Smoothdrag after reading so much about them. They required a little trimming since they don't make the exact size that I need. I also noticed that the Carbontex washers are much thinner than the original washers. When I put the drag stack back together, I simply don't get the amount of drag that I should out of this reel. At most, when the drag is torqued all the way down, it is only moderately difficult to pull. I simply can't figure what could be wrong. I recently had an old 5000 cleaned by a shop and they re-used the old washers that it had and it will produce enough drag that I can't pull the line out with my bare hands when it is maxed out. The drags on these things are simple, two small drag washers and three or four small metal washers. A nylon/plastic spacer sits right on top that makes direct contact with the star drag handle. Any suggestions on what could be wrong or what I could do to allow for more drag out of this reel? I have tried all sorts of different configurations to adjust for the thickness of the new washers and it makes no difference. I am sure everything is in the right order. I even put the old washers back in it and it simply will not "lock down" so to speak, only moderate pressure. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
I'm no reel mech.,but try adding one of the old fiber and steel sets to the new setup,and see what happens?Maybe the star tightener is worn on the inside?

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Do you have all the parts in proper sequence, or did you leave a washer out? Take a look at the star wheel, is the tension spacer in the right direction? It sits right under the wheel.

Log on to Abu Garcia.com you can access exploded diagrams of reels and the parts.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, everything is in the right order. I think the main issue is that I could not get sufficient drag from the reel before replacing the drag washers and it is no better after attempting with the new washers. Everything looks fine mechanically. I experemented with the new washers coupled with the old washers and nothing works.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Rocky, it is hard to say what is wrong. I collect and rebuild the old Garcia's but not an expert. After cleaning them, just put them back together. If they act funky, I mess around with them until they start working again.

You might be able to call Abu Garcia and speak to someone in the service department and they might give you some input. There is a guy in Friendswood Texas named Mike, I don't know his last name or phone # but if you post up on the main board someone will pass it along. He could probably tell you what the problem is.

·
15,098 Posts
Sounds like your missing some of the washers in the assembly.
Its not rocket science. You compress all the washers and the drag gets tighter.
If one is missing it wont get as compressed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Check with Matthews Reel Repair. He posts on this board sometimes. He should have a thread on the employment board. Maybe he can help you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
make sure you have the brass washer on the very bottom of the crank shaft post. some times it comes off and falls off thedrive shaft and falls in the carpet and you will never find it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts