2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to take the time to introduce you all to a great project that helps recently injured soldiers. It is a Non Profit Corp that myself and Doc Ski are on the board of directors. If you are a Charter Captain or hunting guide, please check this out. It is WWW.veteransoutdoors.com We build custom rods for veterans and also match injured soldiers up with fishing, hunting, kayaking, and other outdoor adventures available to them. The trips are donated by Fishing guides and adventure guides from around the US. If you operate a charter service or own land suitable for hunting, please consider helping our wounded soldiers on their path to recovery by taking one day...just one day...and hosting a few of our injured veterans for a day in the outdoors. Thanks for your time and I hope I didnt violate any terms by posting the site. It is a great way for us who love the outdoors to give something back to those who sacrificed so much.

The site is adding new content daily as it was just launched. Please check back with it now and then. I am not asking for financial donations, just some help with hosting the veterans who are being referred to our project. Also if you know a veteran who could benefit from the project, you can let them know of the site or let us know of their interest.

Thanks so much,
Jeff Harding
Board Member
Veterans Outdoors

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Special thanks to Capt. Bruce W Shuler with Getaway Adventure Lodge and to Sid Tyra from Tyra Ranch Services for their offers to guide. Any others interested in helping out...just check out the site and click on the sponsors tab.

Thanks Again,
Jeff Harding

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also thanks to Capt James Shuler with Fin $ Feathers Guide Service in Port O'Connor TX and Chris Catignani from Nashville Tn. for offering to guide a few vets. We will be in contact soon.

Jeff Harding
Veterans Outdoors

·
Adrift on the Mother Lagoon
828 Posts
This sounds great and is something I am willing to do. But not to rain on the parade. There is one issure that concerns me because I am dealing with something similar right now.
This would require taking a person with a previously known injury on a boat.
In order to accommodate taking these individuals, they (the Veterans) would have to assume (I hate that word, thank you Benny Hill) any and all liability. The release form would have to be very comprihensive to cover all aspects to the point it would require a Notary at time of signing.
All it takes is one guy complaining about his bad back and telling the story over and over about how he hurt it, and choosing to go fishing anyway. Then deciding that the fishing trip hurt it worse and he needed to see his chiopractor and lawyer the next day.
My lawyer and insurance are both telling them that it is an "assumptive risk" but that isn't making them go away. They smell blood in the water. Little do they know it's just a smelly old turnip floating around.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess you should consider having ALL your customers sign that waiver. I dont agree with having an injured vet having to waive a right that an able bodied person doesnt have to waive. It is up to your insurance company's lawyers to prove pre existing conditions that would warrant discarding any claim fraudantly brought forth. According to your thinking...these vets shouldnt be able to get car insurance either incase they were injured in a car accident...they might do the same thing. Or maybe homeowners insurance...if one gets hurt working on their property...they may decide to claim that a pre existing injury is in fact a new injury.

Just trying to point out that an able bodied person can bring forth a fraudelant claim just as easily as a disabled one. If you feel there is a risk that you dont want to take in bringing an injured vet fishing...then please dont put yourself at risk. BUT beware...if you think you can tell a person who has a limp...or is missing an arm thet they must waive their rights to recourse in the event they become injured....you may be looking at a lawsuit much larger than any insurance claim. Just my humble opinion.

If you ask all of your clients if they have ever been injured....and you choose to only accept those inwhich answer "no"...you may find yourself fishing alone.

·
Adrift on the Mother Lagoon
828 Posts
I thought I heard something go wizzing by. Talk about a shot across the bow. Forgive me for being a little gun. This is an issue that has just come up for me and its got me a bit upset. IMO it's just a jerk trying his hand at being a professional plantiff. His own statements and the fact he has a workerscomp claim going pretty much takes the wind out of his sails. Like I said, it's a turnip floating in the water.
As for the shot across the bow. Instead of addressing my concerns as a potential volunteer, you chose to lambast me with critisism. That dear sir says alot of you and your organization. My apologies for not coming on and laying down my services freely, but I do opporate a business and liability insurance is costly. It is a legitimate concern. I'll take it elsewhere. Thank you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Captpb...I apologize if I offended you...I just dont feel that discouraging people from being a part of this project because of the liability factor is something that benefits the cause in general. If you consider it a liability to take an injured veteran fishing, I respect your feelings. However one could argue there is a liability in taking anyone fishing...I realize that liability increases when a client is missing a leg or suffers from blast burns, etc....But if this injured soldier has a passion for fishing and there are willing Captains to take them fishing, this project will succeed. I hope others dont think bad of this project because of my comments, but personally it bothered me to see these injured soldiers who sacraficed so much be expected to sign a total liability waiver in this case. I think that a soldier with a prosthetic limb should have the same rights of recourse as any non disabled person should have when dealing with the possibility of being injured on a fishing trip...Like I said...Thats just my opinion...but I suspect that a few here will share it. As to your offer to help....you stated

"This would require taking a person with a previously known injury on a boat.
In order to accommodate taking these individuals, they (the Veterans) would have to assume (I hate that word, thank you Benny Hill) any and all liability. The release form would have to be very comprihensive to cover all aspects to the point it would require a Notary at time of signing."

I believe that most people with a previous injury are capable of going on a fishing boat. Veterans Outdoors doesn't wheel a stretcher down the dock and place soldiers in full body casts on your vessel. I assumed by your statement you werent interested.

Sorry once again if I offended you, if any others were offended I apologize to you also.
Jeff Harding
Veterans Outdoors

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.