2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may rate up there with the dumbest questions ever. Have been reading this forum for a month or so. The discussions and questions all seem to be about the low profile reels. Nor sure I've even seen a discussion or question on Shimano Calcutta reels but used to have a memory too. I have several gold Calcuttas and am wondering why there is so little discussion about them. Are they not up to the standards of some of the low profile reels or have the round reels fallen out of favor with serious fisherman? Calcuttas cost less than a lot of the reels I see mentioned.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think the calcutas hold up to saltwater good because of the anti rust bearings but i believe with the dsv spools less salt enters the internal parts of the reels which is a good precaution when it comes to saltwater. Its not saying the the closed spool is better than the wiffle spool but less water enters the reel. It also depends on what kind of bearings the reel has also

·
Retired opinionated old fart
19,909 Posts
Neale, I only fish fresh, which may not be considered real fishing by some, but I think the Calcuttas would hold up well to salt. I used a gold Calcutta 250 for many years and caught several thousand whites and stripers on it. All legal, most catch & release. To me, that is a lot of casting and winding. It still works great, and only the roller bearing (anti-reverse) was ever changed. From what I read here, the bearing may have only needed to be cleaned rather than changed. It does not have a wiffle spool. It struck me as a precision tool, which is what I like about Shimano. I have since become an un-official Shimano collector and have mainly used low profiles, but not due to any problems with the Calcutta.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have several calcutta's mostly 700's and I love the drags but I have lots of problems with the "push" buttons. They have changed the design on the new 700b version so maybe they are better. I sent one to Shimano in California over a month ago--anyone know how long a simple repair should take?

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,581 Posts
All I use are Calcuttas...I like round reels and I have large hands. I've never "wrapped" the spools and have never had a problem with saltwater getting in the reels unless I submerged one.

I've been fishing with them since they first came out and now fish with the 100B series...man I love that little reel. Just FYI...the 100B weighs 9 ounces. The Curado 100D weighs 7.4 ounces...that's a 1.6 ounce difference between them.

Anyway, fish away with them in saltwater and if you like the round reels like me, stick with them.

TH

·
Excel, it's easy to be average
2,153 Posts
I have large hands and have used the CT250's for years and have now moved to the TE 250DC's.

Charles

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
freeportblue said:
I have several calcutta's mostly 700's and I love the drags but I have lots of problems with the "push" buttons. They have changed the design on the new 700b version so maybe they are better. I sent one to Shimano in California over a month ago--anyone know how long a simple repair should take?
Our current repair turn around time is 5 weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts