2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Try Pisces Fleet

Take a look at the Latin American Report on my site and see what they did this and last week. You can also get their contact information. The tuna will not likely be in, but the striped marlin will run through the winter

Pope
www.texasfishreport.com

·
Registered
307 Posts
pisces fleet. last trip down we picked up 3 sails and 2 striped marlin. all five on the boat hooked up. a rarity in itself.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
been out a few times with the pisces fleet. always do well (two blues last time). its a short trip...8 hours...unless you make plans well in advanced for a longer trip.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Cabo

Hey guys, very timely thread...
I'm planning a first trip there hopefully in the coming months. What is anyone's general opinion on what area or hotels to stay? Any Must-Do's? I see that Los Cabos is really 3 different areas - Cabo San Lucas, San Jose Del Cabo, and The Corridor (the 20 mile stretch of beach between the 2 towns). I have heard that cab rides can be expensive if you want to get anywhere?
Thanks for any insight or suggestions.
CP

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
If you are seeking the wild stay out all night bars, then stay in San lucas, There are Lots of good charter services there. Pisces fleet, Minerva's, picante to name a few. Stay away from the guys selling fishing trips walking down the dock. Be prepared to shell out some big buck$ for food, the food prices have doubled in the past 12 months. If you stay in San Jose, They have Panga charters at La Playita, just across the San Jose river from downtown San jose. They are pretty reasonable $185-225 per day. There are Cruiser boats out of Palmilla, just about 5 mins from San Jose. They start around $350 per day. Dont take a cab from the Airport. They charge from $75-100 one way to San lucas. Take the bus, its only $20-30. There are lots of really nice restaraunts in all areas, but they are pricey. I try to eat at the small taco places. They are more reasonable price wise.
If you want to target marlin, and fish out of a sportfish, then stay in San lucas.
You might check some fishing reports before you go and see where the fish are biting.
www.gordobanks.com in La playita is one, but there are several others. The pangas out of La playita have been hammering the wahoo and tuna recently, but it can turn off in a snap. I havent stayed in San lucas, so I dont have too much info other than the bars, They dont get going good until about midnight. Have fun.
Bret

·
Scream'n Seamen
165 Posts
My wife and I went this past summer had a blast! We fished with Minerva's and landed one striped marlin, lost 2, and raised 2 more with no avail. We were there with another couple so it made more sense to rent a car instead of using the taxis. We really didn't have trouble parking either. At night, you have to go to the Gigglin Marlin and get "strung up" and take shots while hanging by your feet (good office story). We absolutely loved it, and were making plans to go again next year, until she got pregnant 15 weeks ago! Oh well, gotta grow up sometime. Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the info. Lots of options here I'm finding...just depends on how much $$$ you want to shell out...no different than any other vacation with white sands, clear waters and cold cervezas...ahhhh.
CP

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I stayed at san jose del cabo 3-4 years ago. stayed right on the beach by Eric's gordos banks panga's. seemed like fifty per nite. spotless, small, quiet, taxi to town about 5 bucks. seems the taxi to cabo was about 50. I didn't go there, had/have no desire. I could get just as drunk, for much less money were I was. went in april, weather was great. fishing only fair. I'm not a troller, marlin chaser. we trolled, caught 6 yft-mainly footballs, largest was 37 lbs. and one sailfish in 2 days-me and a friend. panga was 175/day. If you want to catch fish cabo is probably not the place to go. If you want marlin it may be. if it were me, and its not, I would catch the van from cabo airport to the East cape, better fishing, cheaper, not as wild, everything you need, from what I hear-I haven't been to the east cape-just researched it. I'm not into the expensive touristy places- cabo san lucas is one. jose del cabo is quieter and the fishing just isn't good enuf to make me want to go back. the corridor hotels have nothing that interests me.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You might contact fishing International. They set up a trip for me and my wife for our honeymoon 3 yrs. ago. They set up airfare lodging and fishing, and even the taxi ride to and from the airport. I didn't have anything to worry about when I got to cabo it was all taken care of. We had a blast. lots of fish including double hookups on striped marlin.

Andy

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
My only advice to you traveling international is to get a prepaid credit card to make any reservations you will need. Do not use your regular credit or debit cards. Take either travelers checks or cash to pay for everything else. I have had and am still dealing with issues from my Costa Rica Trip. The only place I used my cards was at the hotel and that was only to hold the room. I paid cash for the bill. I have heard MANY ppl have problems like this. Some ppl probably dont check their charges as regularly as I do and most likely miss them. I am pretty anal when it comes to my bank account and strangers possibly using it though.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
We fished there a couple times, Pisces and Minerva were both fine avg. $400/day for bigger boat, they expect big tips too. Boats try to head back in before 2pm and hard to keep them out longer.

Take a large collapsible cooler with you and buy beer etc. to take on the boat in town and saves you alot of money in your hotel !!!!

lots of school tuna , billfish, wahoo and some mahi

We have even brought fish home to TX in a reg cooler as long as you dont use dry ice and duct tape the lid closed. Hotel resrtaunts will cook your fish if you ask ahead of time, we ate our own fish nightly.

The Finisterra is a killer hotel, but $$$$$$ the wives loved it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts