2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Cabo San Lucas Guide Suggestion?

4K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Skifffer 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a strong opinion (perferably a good one) on a charter service in Cabo? i'm headed there tomorrow and your help would be appreciated.

#4 ·
My boss called from Cabo this afternoon. He has gone out the past two days with the Pisces fleet. Said it was actually a boat from Galveston. That"s what he said anyway. Bandito, Gulfito or something like that. Said they had 3 striped marlin and 3 dorado yesterday.They had a fabulous trip today. He said they caught and released 7 stripes. He noticed coming into the Harbor that the Capt. was only flyng 6 flags. He asked him why not all seven.The Capt. replied " Senor, we are out of flags".
On a side note, he said it was rough both days. He said it was easy 8-12 feet seas. But the fishing was great.

#5 ·
gmoney said:
My boss called from Cabo this afternoon. He has gone out the past two days with the Pisces fleet. Said it was actually a boat from Galveston. That"s what he said anyway. Bandito, Gulfito or something like that. Said they had 3 striped marlin and 3 dorado yesterday.They had a fabulous trip today. He said they caught and released 7 stripes. He noticed coming into the Harbor that the Capt. was only flyng 6 flags. He asked him why not all seven.The Capt. replied " Senor, we are out of flags".
On a side note, he said it was rough both days. He said it was easy 8-12 feet seas. But the fishing was great.
Bandito and Gaucho have been dwon there from Texas since at least 1983 which is when I first fished them in Cabo. Back then there was no marina and only about 5 hotels.

The striped bite is starting to turn on so hopefully the fall bite will equal last year's. The Finger Banks have produced some 20+ days recently. Few of the charter boats will make that run but if you can talk one of the center consoles into going you can have an epic day.

#6 ·
Guide Service

I fished Cabo in May. We booked through Minerva's Baja Tackle. They moved us over to Pochos.com. We fished on a boat called Outcast. Jesus was the Captain and I forget the deckhand's name. They were awesome and the boat was incredibly clean. We boated two striped marlin in the 150 class. When I go back I'll make sure to use them again. Good luck.

#11 ·
Kenner21 said:
Whats the proper procedure for bringing fish back with you? I'm thinking about heading over there mid november.
The place we stay has a large chest freezer in the baggage storage area of the hotel. We just clean up the filets, Zip lock them, put them in the hotel freezer. On checkout, we load them into an Igloo and go. NO ICE ADDED! Airport will check them. Bring tape to tape up your Igloo. I am sure baggage charges will apply, didn't for me because we had enough people and kids to deal with it, plus I am Gold Elite.

No sweat!

I used to bring a vacuum machine down there, but it was too much trouble.

#12 ·
I went to Cabo in August, and we caught 1 sail, 1 striped, lost another striped, 3 dorado, and 5 cubereras while trying to catch rooster fish. I went down to the marina and negotiated a deal for a boat I liked. I paid $400 for a full day on a 33' Egg Harbor. Helps if you speak spanish, and there'll be pleanty of people harassing you about charters.

As far as bringing back fish, when you get back to the Marina, there will be a fish cleaning area where all the fish go. A guy will approach you and ask if you want it vacuum packed or smoked. He weighs it, gives you a reciept and will deliver it to your hotel on the day of your departure. There's a Walmart in town where you can get a cooler. Keep your fishing license and your reciept from the packer to show to customs in the US. Tape the cooler shut before leaving Mexico.

The striped we landed fought for 2 1/2 hours and died by the time we got it to the boat. We tried to revive it to no avail. I've always practiced catch and release with billfish, and I felt terrible about killing it, but I would have felt worse letting all the meat go to waste. I came back with about 100lbs of steaks.

You'll see alot of billfish being cleaned at the marina. Kinda sad, but that's the way it goes on that side of the country. In the Yucatan, they realease everything, even smallish dorado that would be great in Texas.

Hope this helps.

#14 ·
Offshore Boats

I've used tailchaser sportfishing several times. I've always been pleased with them. They have three boats. 31' bertram, 32' blackfin and 35' cabo. I would recommend them to anyone. US phone 928.669.2116 and Cabo Cell 011.52.624.15.15103 Lalo. I recommend that you stop by the Costco in Cabo they have ice chest, lunchmeat, and american beer. I strongly recommend that you let the guys at the dock freeze and package your fish. They will arrive at your hotel with the fish on the morning of your departure as they don't get paid until they deliver. If you don't have a costco card then you can hit the home depot.But it might take you longer to build that ice chest than you want to spend. Hope this helps, Ted
sburrer said:
Does anyone have a strong opinion (perferably a good one) on a charter service in Cabo? i'm headed there tomorrow and your help would be appreciated.

#15 ·
justhookit said:
:eek:
Was he foul hooked on light tackle or something? I've never heard of a striped marlin taking anywhere near that long to land.
Yeah, he was foul hooked in a nasty way. He swallowed the live bait and somehow one of the hooks passed through the gills and hooked him so his gill plate was being pulled shut and he was coming in horizontal to the boat. I personally fought him for 1 1/2 hours then the mate tried for a while and finally the captain. For the last 20 yards, the 3 of us pulled him in by hand. Crazy.

#16 · (Edited)
For say a Nov/December 2018 trip

Does Anyone have any NEW ADDITIONS to this list for a recently used guide suggestion ??

had this one suggested, but, after see'n this recent FB daylight post, not sure if its the one now, or either I need to drink some of the Coffee he drinks to wake up in the morning to wake up that day. :smile:

#18 ·
I have been there several times and have fished with several different companies. Some of these included the more well known companies and I was not impressed with the service (don't want to mention specific names, PM me if you want specifics). I really did like JC Sportfishing, the service was great, especially for the price. We have always caught fish with JC.

#20 ·
I am on record saying this a bunch, but if you want the best panga in Cabo with the best captain, Jaime on the Jessica is your guy. We have fished with him a bunch and will be with him again in December.

Owns his boat, has great electronics and tackle, and ALWAYS finds a way to grind out some fish. He can catch anything the big boats can on top of all the other fish that are overlooked. If you want his info PM me. $250 half day, $400 full.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.