2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
circle hooks rock!!
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to find Nayo, a panga captain( seems to be a very good captain there but everyone wanted their "CUT" and we didn't have long to cruise the docks..) to go out on a Panga for 5 to7 hours but I never got that far. I talked to about 15 different people about going deep(15 miles out) or just going for dorado and roosters in closer..Well the fella I met along the way (the 15th guy)to the MAIN marina at the end closest to the point had a "Cabo Magic" shirt on. I have heard that they were pretty good. He (Carlos ???)said he was with them and finally talked me into a trip. The main reason for just going ahead and booking a trip was that the spouses were with us and they could care less about any "Fishing Trip of A Lifetime" so I just took the hook, all the way into the belly..The next morning we went just around the point near the arch and trolled with live mackeral.. The gear was old, the line was probably older and the captain was more worried about hooking up with another panga captain to get his morning "Joint".. I did catch 2 small bonitas, about 4 or 5 #'s each but our capt potlicked so bad there was a nicer 32' boat hooked up with 3 fish and he got too close and we broke one off with one of our lines...Lessons I learned here will never be made again..
:hairout:
We paid $285 for the 8 hour trip and that was supposed to be with a 12 pack of Coronas and 10 live bait and we got picked up at our resort on the beach. Well we had to buy our own beer and we only had 4 livies out of the 5 in our well. I bought 5 more because of advice from a lot of ya'll..To top it off he dropped us off way the heck down the beach from our resort and we had to walk back to the resort..What a buzz kill....

A few things to consider when you get a guide:

If your wife is not into the fishing thing don't bring her with you(i'm not wife bashinghere it's just that mine could care less if I fished or not). Park her in a nice cool place and have them feed her food and cold beers until you return.

There are probably at least 50 (probably better than 100)Panga owners that will take up to 4 people out for $150 to $180 US dollars and bait is $2 per piece..Get EXTRA bait.. And a lot of the captains that are a little younger and not so burned out will try REALLY hard to get you a few good fish. We could have went 15 miles out for 2 to 4 people for $400 and that would be for bill fish, dorado and everything elses..That boat had a bathroom and supplied soda,water some snacks and would clean the fish and even help you package it and send it back to the US for you.. Hind sight is 20 /20 for sure..That boat came in with 2 Wahoo , a marlin and a copule tuns flags flying when we came in..

Woody from snapper slappers pm'd me some really good info but i never got to "Rocky's Sportfishing"... But when we came in they had about 8 or 9 different flags flying after an 8 hour trip offshore...and I think they paid around $400. or $500.

If I did it again, and I will, I will pay a little more and spend a few hours on the docks when all the boats come in and see who the "Big Dogs" are and book a trip with them. No " Middle Men"!!!!There are 1,000,000,000 "Middle Men" that will hook you up with a trip but walk the docks and barter your arse off and you will save a good bit of $$$..

Next time I will bring along a 3 piece travel rod / reel.. We stayed at the "RIU" resort and there was a guy from Florida that caught at couple Dorado and Roosters fishing from the shore with gear and lures that he brought with him. And he was only about 100 yards from all the people near where the rocks were on the shore..

All in all it was one hell of a GIANT party and when I go on shift tomorrow I hope I don't have to do a breathalizer because I will probably still fail it:brew2:, and I got home yesterday.:eek: .I hope the thread wasn't to long winded but I just wanted to share my experience so others won't have to make the same mistakes..a $100 bill goes real fast in Cabo and we had 10 of them...and they went really quick......I will post up a few pics when I get the disposable camera back from wally world..

The boat named "Cabo Magic" came in every day with multiple flags flying.. not sure on their price but I'd say it would be worth it..

For the record this was a "band Wife Trip" to party and relax and the day of fishing was just an unexpected deal our wives through at us so we ran with it..

Thanks again to all that PM'd me with good info..Adios for now..

·
Firm Member
1,966 Posts
Sounds like classic caribbean tactics. Sorry to hear it happened to you in Cabo. Hope you had fun otherwise.

Erik

·
Registered
858 Posts
Nayo

Texasair,

You are correct - last time I was down there, I fished with Capt. Nayo aboard the Que Sera, the 60' Ocean that he captained when they won the Bisbee's 2-1/2 years ago.

All the best,

Tom

PS. Thanks Texasair for your support on the snapper issue a while back.

T.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I'm sorry you had a bad experience, at least it sounds like the rest of your trip was fun though. I'm sure you found Cabo Wabo!

For anyone heading to Cabo looking for a charter, I strongly reccomend El Budster, www.elbudster.com. I had a group down there several years ago, both male and female, none of whom had ever really fished before, especially not offshore. Captain Salvador and his crew couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. We ended up catching several dolphin and small yellowfin, which was great action for the members of our crew that had never fished before. To have two 'city girls' from Dallas enjoy a fishing trip is really saying something.

The boats aren't the newest in the harbor, but they seemed to be very well maintained and the crew/captain were very professional. They have fishing reports updated every day on thier website, which are always fun to look at. Also check out the section on the all-tackle world record Dorado, which the owner caught a few years ago. Thier rates are also very reasonable, which was the reason we went with them in the first place.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I just setup a trip down there in September and am looking to book a charter soon. I'll look into El Budster MilosMaster, thanks.

·
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker
1,670 Posts
I will definately take my wife. She's hispanic, fluent in Spanish and could barter the grim reaper out of a soul. She will park herself at the pool and load up on cheap beers and such until I get back. She doesn't like to fish.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
As you can tell by my screen name, as a younger man I really enjoyed Cabo. My last trip there I was booked with Solmar Fleet and they "overbooked" the boats. Got placed on another 31 bertram... fine lets go fishing.

Get out there and catch two striped marlin by 11am. Catpain says we are really lucky so lets go in. Told him no that he needed to put lures back in the water. Put lures in and heads towards port. Asked what he's doing and he says "well amigo the lures are in the water".

Got off the boat leaving no tip. Went to Solmar and no one cared. Last trip down there.

I've been to Venezuela and Costa Rica since. Personally I feel you get much more for your money in Costa Rica. Everytime you turn around in Cabo some one is trying to rip you off. I have made life long friends with the crews I have fished with in Costa Rica. Great people, who will work hard for you and a full day is really a full day.

I'm sure there are still great crews in Cabo if you're willing to spend more money. It's just too easy for me to go to Quepos and catch fish!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike.

·
Worldangler
1,385 Posts
Cabo

Sorry to hear about your trip to Cabo....there's a few bad apples down there that spoil the bunch.

If ANY of you 2coolers are heading to Cabo, please give me a call. I have MANY friends down there, and one long-time friend has been running a charter business for years. I'm SURE he will take VERY good care of you, especially if you mention my name.

Be cautious about flags flying...many of the captains run up a lot of flags when they dock for the evening .... it's a good, but misleading, way of attracting customers.

I know about 30 different captains and boats down there, some good, some great, and some very bad.

In general, the PISCES fleet has VERY good captains, decent pricing, and Tracy is a very nice lady to work with.

I also know Minerva and Bob Smith (of Minerva's tackle) and you should definitely pay them a visit - the best tackle shop in all of the Baja.

Stay away from the Gaviotta fleet - they will kill just about every billfish they catch. Also, the Solmar fleet catches fish, but their tackle leaves something to be desired (unless they've updated since I've last been down).

Also, most of the charters are setup for "tourist fishing"...short runs, short days, catch a fish or two and return to port. However, if you COMMUNICATE with the captain and crew, treat them with respect, and clearly get across that you want to "serious" fish and you are an experienced angler - MOST crews willl bust arse for you. In fact, they kinda LIKE that - because so often they're stuck tourist fishing.

Most of the problems I hear about (from both sides) are usually the result of poor communication with the spanish crew. Client gets ticked off because it's not want they expected but haven't been able to (or too timid to) get their wishes across.

Anyway, again - I have a very good friend who will take care of you right! Give me a jingle if you're heading down...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can recommend Pisces fleet from my one trip in 1994. Caught a 165 lb. yellowfin (1 hr. 45 min) and a couple of nice dorado. The crew even seemed disappointed that we didn't catch any billfish. We had a great time. Looking at their website, the boat "Ruthless" is still running. My only complaint was the fighting chair, but from the pictures, looks like it has been replaced....

·
circle hooks rock!!
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The trip was not actually for fishing at all and was supposed to be for "Quality Time" with the wife to help bond a little more after the last couple of years of rough times together. Well just as she thought would happen I went into hogginhank mode and turned the relaxing trip with the wife into a "It's all about Hank Fishing Trip" ordeal.. She knows me better than I know myself..Oh well. She did say that next year she is going to fund a trip back to Cabo and pay the extra for a REAL charter and even go along for the ride and hang out with me.. Thats a cool lady to come back with that offer after a heated argument on the beach that night that almost ruined our entire vacation.. 46 Coronas and 4 shots of Tequila will do that to most husbands:confused: .. It was still a great trip and the food at Cabo Wabo was really good. I even got hand cuffed by a HUGE security guard that thought I was snorting coke in the bathroom stall.. It ended up being the dudes in the stall next to me and when they came out the fight was on,but it still cost me $50 USA funds to get free from the cuffs.. Wrong place at the wrong time is sometimes a bad deal.. I'm back here now and planning my next offshore trip.. So things could be a LOT worse..

Thanks also JohnHumbert for the info on the hook up. I will give you a call or e-mail you before I go to Cabo again. At least I am more informed and have been SCHOOLED once so I will have a better chance next time of getting what I went there to get..A really good offshore trip..I'm off to finish up paper work here at the fire station..Lots of folks down here in New Braunfels on the river getting drunk and hurt making sure I have job securtity.. The hospital ER has been my second home pretty much all day and the nurses that are my friends can really give the meanest looks you can imagine when you roll through the doors with a drunk guy trying to expose his privates to everyone:bounce: .. Again, I could be stuck in jail in Mexico but I'm here so I have no complaints... I just wish some of our drunk patient's were female:birthday2 Ya'll take it easy...

·
Registered
498 Posts
cabolew said:
My last trip there I was booked with Solmar Fleet and they "overbooked" the boats.

Got off the boat leaving no tip. Went to Solmar and no one cared. Last trip down there.
I had the same experince with Solmar. Bought the whole boat...what a waste of money. I'll be going back again next year but it's going to be with a different charter service.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
It takes a very short time to get tired of the BS in Cabo. Try getting something acclomplished down there and getting paid for it. They always want to pay cash, so you have to come up with a total on the job and expenses right then and there. then wait for the bank to be open or some other excuse that takes half a day and almost makes you miss your flight home. Then go thru customs with this brown bag full of hundreds.

·
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '92
1991 ShallowSport Sport 20
1,042 Posts
CLASSIC! We need to fish together.......

I like your style! LOL

hogginhank said:
Thanks for all the replies. The trip was not actually for fishing at all and was supposed to be for "Quality Time" with the wife to help bond a little more after the last couple of years of rough times together. Well just as she thought would happen I went into hogginhank mode and turned the relaxing trip with the wife into a "It's all about Hank Fishing Trip" ordeal.. She knows me better than I know myself..Oh well. She did say that next year she is going to fund a trip back to Cabo and pay the extra for a REAL charter and even go along for the ride and hang out with me.. Thats a cool lady to come back with that offer after a heated argument on the beach that night that almost ruined our entire vacation.. 46 Coronas and 4 shots of Tequila will do that to most husbands:confused: .. It was still a great trip and the food at Cabo Wabo was really good. I even got hand cuffed by a HUGE security guard that thought I was snorting coke in the bathroom stall.. It ended up being the dudes in the stall next to me and when they came out the fight was on,but it still cost me $50 USA funds to get free from the cuffs.. Wrong place at the wrong time is sometimes a bad deal.. I'm back here now and planning my next offshore trip.. So things could be a LOT worse..

Thanks also JohnHumbert for the info on the hook up. I will give you a call or e-mail you before I go to Cabo again. At least I am more informed and have been SCHOOLED once so I will have a better chance next time of getting what I went there to get..A really good offshore trip..I'm off to finish up paper work here at the fire station..Lots of folks down here in New Braunfels on the river getting drunk and hurt making sure I have job securtity.. The hospital ER has been my second home pretty much all day and the nurses that are my friends can really give the meanest looks you can imagine when you roll through the doors with a drunk guy trying to expose his privates to everyone:bounce: .. Again, I could be stuck in jail in Mexico but I'm here so I have no complaints... I just wish some of our drunk patient's were female:birthday2 Ya'll take it easy...

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
MilosMaster said:
I'm sorry you had a bad experience, at least it sounds like the rest of your trip was fun though. I'm sure you found Cabo Wabo!

For anyone heading to Cabo looking for a charter, I strongly reccomend El Budster, www.elbudster.com. I had a group down there several years ago, both male and female, none of whom had ever really fished before, especially not offshore. Captain Salvador and his crew couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. We ended up catching several dolphin and small yellowfin, which was great action for the members of our crew that had never fished before. To have two 'city girls' from Dallas enjoy a fishing trip is really saying something.

The boats aren't the newest in the harbor, but they seemed to be very well maintained and the crew/captain were very professional. They have fishing reports updated every day on thier website, which are always fun to look at. Also check out the section on the all-tackle world record Dorado, which the owner caught a few years ago. Thier rates are also very reasonable, which was the reason we went with them in the first place.
If you can make some SMU girls have a good time on a fishing boat, the crew must be doing something right.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Check out the East Cape next trip. I fish with the guys out of Punta Colorado and never had a bad trip. I havent been the past couple of years, though.

·
Too far from the ocean ...
2,504 Posts
I too was less than impressed with Cabo. I shared a Blackfin one day, and had my own 28 footer for two other days. Total was one striped marlin and a few schoolie dorado. I'll spend my money elsewhere next time.

Syncerus

·
Registered
82 Posts
We went a few years ago and caught 100+ albacore tuna ( around 30 lbs each) the first day, rooster fish in the surf on a panga the next and hooked 4 marlin ( boated 3)on the last day. We also caught some bonito and a few nice dorado in the mix all 3 days. I went there for a pacific sail to go with my Atlantic but with no luck. Its sad to see that a great place like cabo has gone the way of so many great fishing villages. All I had to watch out for is the dock pimp .. trying to shake us down for more cash for the crew ( tips ) they didnt get any more from me.

~DH

·
www.ultimateflounderfishi ng.com
149 Posts
Sorry about your horrible experience in Cabo. I actually was in Cabo about 3 weeks ago and did a little fishing as well. But, I ended up getting a hellof a deal. I know some of you wouldn't do this, but this is what happened with me and my wife. We used the Elliotts Fleet down in the Marina. It was a 5-6 hour trip for about $365. but, I talked the guy down to $100 for a private charter with just my wife and I. But, the catch was that I had to listen to a presentation for one of the time shares. I gave a $50 deposit and I was to pay the remaining $50 after the presentation. They bought lunch and paid for a few drinks as well. After the presentation the lady gave me a receipt and $35 for a taxi ride back to my hotel room. Keep in mind that I only gave her the first $50. So the next morning, we met with the Captain who calls himself "Hector the Fish Collector". Headed out at 5:30 and caught a few Bonita, Tuna, and also my first Stripped Marlin who went just over 7 ft. We didn't get a chance to weight it, but it was a 40 minute fight. It wore me out and we headed back to the dock at about 10:30 because I was done. I would strongly reccommend this Captain Hector of Elliott's Charters. Now all this for only $50 minus the $35 taxi ride. Only cost me $15 for the trip. And they provided drinks and cleaned my fish. So next time you're in Cabo you may want to check them out. The Presentation was only a little over an hour. For the discount it was worth it and you don't have to get suckered into buying the time share. Just listen, eat, drink, and shut up.....LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts