2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a "niche" next to my fireplace where I'd like to build a cabinet with double doors so I can hide the unsightly wires and such. Approx. 4'-6" W x 3' H x 3' D

Anyone have any suggestions with some free plans online to give me some ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
968 Posts
What exactly are you looking for? Are you going to stain or paint...do you want fancy or plain...do you want panel doors or solid doors and do they really need to be 3' deep to hid wires and such?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was going to use 3/4" birch and stain it. Solid doors with trim I guess. Try and use european style hinges. It's actually closer to 2' deep.

The niche is recessed with finished drywall. Electrical outlets against back wall, gas knob on the left wall along with a hole in drywall for wires running to wall mounted flatscreen.

Basically wanting something like the link shows below (minus the paneled doors) and with a top piece.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

·
Registered
20 Posts
Build a box to fit the hole. Order some doors. Most people that sell cabinet grade ply wood and hardwood sell custom doors for $12 to $30 each depending on the profile and panel. The newer miter style doors would look good. Do your own finish.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
what 1bandit said. All cabinet building is is building boxes and a face frame. If you have a router you should be good to go. A table saw, biscuit saw or pocket jig wouldn't hurt either.

·
Kickin' hippies' a**es and raisin' h*ll!
5,369 Posts
what 1bandit said. All cabinet building is is building boxes and a face frame. If you have a router you should be good to go. A table saw, biscuit saw or pocket jig wouldn't hurt either.
x2 on pocket screws. If you want to make it easy on yourself, go get a pocket screw jig and "glue and screw" the box and face frame. It's a lot easier than biscuit joints and personally I think it does just as well!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Birdband01
I always get on the net and start looking through different kitchen/bath rooms with cabinets and try to pic out what I like and just use some imagination and come up with what will work and also will look nice for my application. If nothing else you could find what you like that is close and get some other opinions, this may give you what you would like and go from there. good luck.

·
Know it, Love it, Kill it, and Grill it!
1,839 Posts
I don't think that you are wanting to go this big but this is what I built last year. I removed the "Knook" and built a "Drop in Cabinet" out of Birch. Faced in red oak. Machine made doors that are 1"x4", 1/4" inlay rip with the center beeing 1/4" red oak ply. Hidden hinges. I can build these doors for about $10.00 minus the hindges. If this is what you have in mind let me know and I will explain how to build a little better.

This cabinet is little wider but the rest of it is the almost the same. I can draw you the plans that are in my head is you want them. Just shoot me a PM and let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bullfish -

Your "niche" setup is exactly the same as mine. Only difference is it's drywall on all 3 sides in lieu of brick. That looks really good!

I really only need 2 doors. No drawers necessarily. My dimensions I want filled are 52" x 28" x 22".

Can you purchase doors similar at Home Depot that are prefabricated and not needing to be ordered (minus hinges)?

I don't have a biscuit saw, joiner, pocket jig or router. Have basics... miter saw, table saw, drill, a lil' bit of woodwork knowledge, ect.

I've googled with different phrasing and haven't found much that shows step by step instructions.

Thanks for the input fellas!

·
DeadEyeDean
1,500 Posts
You can also counter sink screws, fill in with some filler, sand and you won't be able to see any screws.

I am as you and don't have all of the tools but from your list you should be able to get the job done, i.e. miter saw and drill is probably all you need.

Perhaps go to Home Depot and look at some of the cabinets bring pencil and paper to take some notes on how they are done.

Really is should be relatively easy to build.

·
Know it, Love it, Kill it, and Grill it!
1,839 Posts
You can also counter sink screws, fill in with some filler, sand and you won't be able to see any screws.

I am as you and don't have all of the tools but from your list you should be able to get the job done, i.e. miter saw and drill is probably all you need.

Perhaps go to Home Depot and look at some of the cabinets bring pencil and paper to take some notes on how they are done.

Really is should be relatively easy to build.
Guys you don't have to have "All the tools" to build. You just have to be creative and resourcefull. I used a Dato blade on a tablesaw (Cheap little delta) to make the machine cut for the doors. everything else was with a compound miter or skillsaw. and pawn shop nailguns.

The Doors that I made were knockoffs of some custom maple doors that my FIL had made for my wet bar. His cabinet guy charged him close to $100 per door ( That is in fine grain maple though). In a ( Homedepot grade) red oak you could prob. have them made for around $35-40 each. but make them for a lot less DIY. Or Show up over here and spend about 2 hours and we can knock them out.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
The way I look at it is if it would cost me $250 for a cabinet, I can buy a tool to add to my arsenal that will help with the project and the next and still come in under budget. If you want to go as cheap as possible on how much its gonna cost theres nothing wrong with that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts