2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently incorporated CA as the finish for all my pens. I am new at both penturning and CA Glue. I have been using the thin Titebond CA Glue. I first get my pen the way I like it and then apply a coating of CA GLue as the lathe spins at low rpms. My problem is an applicator. I have been using Q-tips to apply the Glue. The thin sets up so quick that you have to work fast.

From here on out is where I tend to find the hardest part of sanding and getting that perfect finish. I have done an Antler and two woods with this finish. They were all beautiful, but man it was work from the time you apply CA. Is practice what I need? Is there a better way to do this type of finish?

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know a another knife maker who does the CA glue finsh on some of his handles. He adds a few layers of ca and the with his finder adds be bonder and evens out the glue. He lets it dry the sands to a 12 grit. I havn't tried it yet so experiment on a junk piece first.

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
I use a paper towel with the lathe spinning. Get you some nitrile latex gloves. The CA don't stick to it as bad

Here is a good video

·
El Viejo
23,413 Posts
I use a tip I found on the 'net.. Save those little baggies that pen parts come in. Take one of the little ones and stick a finger in it...dab a little CA on the baggie and apply like you said at low RPM.. CA don't seem to soak thru the baggie... just .02

edit...Oh...and I use the thick CA...

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
I use a tip I found on the 'net.. Save those little baggies that pen parts come in. Take one of the little ones and stick a finger in it...dab a little CA on the baggie and apply like you said at low RPM.. CA don't seem to soak thru the baggie... just .02

edit...Oh...and I use the thick CA...
I had forgot about the baggie thing. Man I need to get my shop going instead of working on the house.:rotfl:

·
El Viejo
23,413 Posts
Bobby's video clip reminded me.. If you aint tried that OneStep finish, you're missing something. Works super on acrylics..just sand to 600 then use One Step.. Really gives a glass finish to acrylics and no more steps necessary.. Aint tried it on wood yet, but think I will give it a shot. It's a little expensive, but a little bit goes a long way...

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I used to use the little foam brushes that are very inexpensive. It hardens on the end but I then cut that off and use another new end and etc. It worked but sure there are better ways such as above. I really like CA finish because it also hardens in the wood when soaking in. I used the thin first to let it saturate in the wood then used the medium. Long lasting finish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.