2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to look at a used boat with a 2001 150 Suzuki two stroke. The motor has 300 hours on it. Should I be concerned with that many hours on the engine? If a mechanic thoroughly looks at the engine should he be able to tell if there are any major or potential problems? Any thing I should look or test for when taking the boat on a test run?

Never bought a used boat before so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
300 hrs on a maintained engine is not much. A qualified mechanic should be able to find any existing problems, but he is not a fortune teller so if you develop a problem after the purchase don't blame the mechanic. Suzuki builds a good product I wouldn't be afraid to buy it if it cks good. Take a good look at the boat as well, bottom cond, corrosion on electrical sys, over all cond.

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
Pull the spark plugs on the motor, and examine them for any damage, metal deposits, or metal fouling indicating a lean burn and overheat. Do a compression check on each cylinder, they should all be within 10% of each other and somewhere between 110 and 135 psi. Drain a few drops of lower unit oil from the lower drain plug, It should be dark brown/black/blue, and not milky or cream colored indicative of oil in the lube. Lastly, take it for a sea trial and run the motor through all RPM ranges. Run it for at least a minute at the RPM where it is plowing and just before the boat climbs on plane. If there is any problem with fuel flow or dirty carbs, it will show up here as missing or rough running. If this all checks out, the motor will likely last you another 2000 hrs with good preventative maintenance.

If you buy it, replace the fuel filters and water pump for insurance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input. It helped a bunch and is very much appreciated.

I didn't think I would ever be in the boat market again, but this forum really got my fishin' juices flowing. Thank goodness the riblet likes to fish as much as I do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts