2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where you can find burnt orange rod blanks? Im all kinda ate up with UT and would like to have a burnt organge stix to fish with.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
i had an mottley green one and i stripped it off and found it to be a beautiful burnt amber underneath might check some of your older rods?

·
Banned
960 Posts
paint

i been exprementing with painting reel seats. i was told to use an air brush. i called a painting buddy of mine and i told him what i wanted to do and he suggested model car paints that you can buy at michaels. i went to michaels and they had it in arisol cans in all different colors. with a clear liquer paint to paint over it. this willl make the finish hard. it worked and it looks good and it is thin. you have to put a lite coat of enamel to let get sticky then you put your thick coat. wait 24 hour apply lacquer for the hardness. just buy you a plank with no finish on it and paint it. wipe you blank down with some denatural alcohol to clean it and get down.............bennie

www.qualitytacklerods.com

·
Registered
206 Posts
you have to put a lite coat of enamel to let get sticky then you put your thick coat. wait 24 hour apply lacquer for the hardness. just buy you a plank with no finish on it and paint it. wipe you blank down with some denatural alcohol to clean it and get down.............bennie
Interesting. I am supprised there is no flex agent required to keep the paint from cracking under stress. Used to help prep motorcycle plastics for custom paint jobs. The primer and paint had to have a flex additive so that the paint would not to crack as the plastics flexed from time to time. I figure a bow in a rod would do the same thing maybe not. I would like to learn though.

·
Banned
960 Posts
u have something there

Interesting. I am supprised there is no flex agent required to keep the paint from cracking under stress. Used to help prep motorcycle plastics for custom paint jobs. The primer and paint had to have a flex additive so that the paint would not to crack as the plastics flexed from time to time. I figure a bow in a rod would do the same thing maybe not. I would like to learn though.
i never thought of that, because i'm painting real seats. the base coat is enamel, maybe just paint up so far on the blank to the stripper guide or test it first on an old blank, maybe i will............bennie

·
Banned
960 Posts
painted blank

i never thought of that, because i'm painting real seats. the base coat is enamel, maybe just paint up so far on the blank to the stripper guide or test it first on an old blank, maybe i will............bennie
well painted the scrap blank tip with metalic blue about four hours ago and dryed to touch and bent the blank as for as i could and paint did not crack. thought about what you said about plastic. this paint is for models that are plastic,plane, cars. looks really, good going to paint the clear lacquer to night and see if will cracks, if you don't here from me ever things cool with lacquer. bennie

·
Banned
960 Posts
painted blank

QTRODS;2456011today i painted the scrap blank tip with metalic blue about four hours ago and dryed to touch and bent the blank as for as i could and paint did not crack. thought about what you said about plastic. this paint is for models that are plastic said:
qualitytacklerods.com

·
Registered
206 Posts
Didnt think about it the paint you are using is for models ie made to go on plastic. Probably made to have some flex. let me know how it turn out im going to attempt to paint a reel this weekend maybe a blank next.

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
I haven't painted a blank in a couple of years, but when I did some, I used the Pactra spray made for painting lexan RC cars. The colors are limited, tho. I primed w/ a white or silver lacquer, and then used the Pactra. I used PermaGloss as a clearcoat. PG is "hot", so I had to let the Pactra cure for several days before using the PG. I did talk to Lance at Swampland, and he said his painted blanks are ~ $35 extra…in my opinion, it's superior to the results that I got using the Pactra/PG.
Jerry

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am painting a blank as we speak. It is an older brown Fenwick that I will be making white. The research that I did pointed to a Rust O Leum Professional spray paint, that supposedly sticks to anything. I applied one coat of an spray Auto Primer (gray) and then followed up with the other white paint. Initial results ares that I don't like it, as it is not coming out very smooth. I will now be switching to an auto paint, so that I can we sand the rod smooth. I'll post up pics when it is all done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts