2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=80d9402742ccffe6

Keep a close eye out for people like this, lock your doors, and dont be mad at nosey neighbors cause when it actually happens to you its really scary. Thank god no one was home and all that was lost were items that can be replaced. I was the one that found this devistation. A neighbor call to tell us that there was a water coming out of the garage so i rushed over there from the campground we were staying at(a good ways away) to turn off the water and thats when i got a knot in my stomach.

The fourwheeler mentioned in this story was mine which was kept there for safe keeping while we were out of town for the weekend and other various weekends cause we didnt want anything to happen to it under my carport.

Now not only do me and my girlfriends dad which owns the house have these problems to contend with but i was informed by him that my fourwheeler will more than likely not be covered under the homeowners insurance. I was told by them that since i could have had ins. coverage on it that basically tuff cookies but they are going to send the claim to i guess corporate to determine what is going to be done about it. Is this actually how this system really works. If my buddy parks his boat under my carport and my house falls on it, if he didnt have ins. on it hes out his money as well.

If anyone can explain to me what can be done or give me a leg to stand on i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Travis

·
Native Texan
10,985 Posts
Wow, sorry for your bad fortune. I would think that the ATV would be covered under the home insurance, but who knows now days. Good luck with the repairs and on the ATV insurance.

·
Fishmoore & Doolittle, Retirement Clubs
2,741 Posts
Not sure about the insurance/ATV situation but something similar happened to a friend of mine. Same type of damage. The pros wouldn't take the time to do the damage and risk getting caught. My friend's culprits ended up being neighborhood punks/gangstas. Their parents paid for the repair/recovery costs that weren't covered by insurance.

What a hassle. I hope things get worked out for you.

·
I'm a millionaire in a .02 opinion world
2,569 Posts
Boy, that sucks. There has been theivery going on in the DJ area as well. The northern knocked over a cooler last nite and came down the stairs lookin' like Yosemite Sam pistola in each hand. For sure keep your eyes open. B&P

·
Banned
8,277 Posts

Keep a close eye out for people like this, lock your doors, and dont be mad at nosey neighbors cause when it actually happens to you its really scary. Thank god no one was home and all that was lost were items that can be replaced. I was the one that found this devistation. A neighbor call to tell us that there was a water coming out of the garage so i rushed over there from the campground we were staying at(a good ways away) to turn off the water and thats when i got a knot in my stomach.

The fourwheeler mentioned in this story was mine which was kept there for safe keeping while we were out of town for the weekend and other various weekends cause we didnt want anything to happen to it under my carport.

Now not only do me and my girlfriends dad which owns the house have these problems to contend with but i was informed by him that my fourwheeler will more than likely not be covered under the homeowners insurance. I was told by them that since i could have had ins. coverage on it that basically tuff cookies but they are going to send the claim to i guess corporate to determine what is going to be done about it. Is this actually how this system really works. If my buddy parks his boat under my carport and my house falls on it, if he didnt have ins. on it hes out his money as well.

If anyone can explain to me what can be done or give me a leg to stand on i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Travis
I doubt your -wheeler will be covered under homeowner insurance. I don't know where Sharker is coming from, but from experience you are sol. rs

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I guess the news article wasnt complete cause I dont understand how the 4wheeler is destroyed with just putting "chemicals" in the gas tank. If thats all it is pull the tank & clean it. But sorry about the house

·
Registered
233 Posts

Thanks
Travis
I doubt his homeowners will cover the ATV. You should have your own insurance on it. I don't think his homeowner policy would cover it if it was his without a "rider". Something for others to check is high end riding mowers, most policies will cover a mower to $2-2.5K and limit HP to 20-25hp.

ATV insurance is not that expensive and then it is covered under your carport, in the truck, or on a trailer. More importantly you have some liability protection if you let someone ride it and they get hurt.

Good luck with the ATV maybe it is not really totaled and can be repaired.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess the news article wasnt complete cause I dont understand how the 4wheeler is destroyed with just putting "chemicals" in the gas tank. If thats all it is pull the tank & clean it. But sorry about the house
laundry detergent in the gas tank, tires slashed, rims ruined, every wire and hose on it cut, ummm......theres so much more i could list, enough thats goe kawasaki told me it would be more than likely be totaled if ins. did cover it when i took it up there sat afternoon. i really didnt make this post to have people tell me what i should have had or what they actually think may have happened. i was hoping that i could share my experience and that some of the people that are on this site that are in the ins. field could explain the reasoning behind the way they are handling this claim. i am already ****** off enough with all of this and im not trying to start anything i am simply trying to find out what i can do legally. The ins. people are coming by the house tomarrow to evaluate everything tomarrow so hopefully they will have a different outlook about our issues when they see them verses over the phone. thanks for everyones concerns and best wishes. i sure hope they catch the people who did this horrible act

·
Professional Salesman
9,757 Posts
Sorry it happened.

This is a good reminder to everyone on this board to be careful about letting anyone, except trusted neighbors know when you won't be home.

I've seen, and probably done it myself, lay-out plans to leave town, where I'm going, when I will be back, what guns/rods I have....

This is all great info for board lurkers, robbers, troublemakers that can easly figure out where you live and what you have in your home with a simple search on your posts.

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,286 Posts

Thanks
Travis
Sorry to hear of the misfortune

I havent read the other post, so I dont know what the conscience is... But, here goes... Most likely about all the persons insurance will pay for YOUR property is the $250 Property Damage part of their liability coverage under the "care, Custody, control" section. One persons Property Damage coverage most likely wont pay for property they dont own.

I would think a 4wheeler would need to be individually covered under what we use to call a "floater" policy like a farm Tractor by the 4 wheelers True owner. But, there might be some sort of extension of yours..

Now, if you have a homeowners policy, there might be a possibility of your contents coverage extending over the the other mans place less your deductible. Read your policy under contents extensions away from premises and see what it says. I would guess it might be considered like a lawn mower...I cant remember, its been a while since I was in the business. Also, they change the rules as time goes by..

Or you can call Austin and talk to the State board of insurance, who regulates all the Texas Homeowners policies coverage rules, and see what your personal HO policy could do and ask about coverage from his.. I just dont think HIS is going to do anything other than the $250 liability property damage.

I hope Im wrong in saying the above about the only $250, :hairout:
but, I dont think I'm far off.sad2sm

Good luck and I hope they find the vandals.... Sounds like delinquent kids to me..

Hog

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well a very EXTREMELY HARD lesson was learned today. I would also like to say thanks so much john for the information and explaination of how all of these things work. after meeting with the claims person today i was told that my fourwheeler was not covered by ins. STATE FARM has had for the last ten years or so has had homeowners policy's that doesnt cover motor vehicals, so if you are at your friends house, who has this certin type of state farm policy for there ins. and a tree falls on your truck in his driveway your own ins. will have to foot the bill. This is based on what he was telling me, i then had smoke coming coming out of my hears.

Now for the real kicker, since my old ladys dad was renting the house to a good friend of mine, now he is saying that not only the fourwheeler isnt covered but that they are possibly not going to cover the contents of the house because when you rent a house you need to carry a different type of homeowners ins. than regular, "doesnt cover a **** thing ins." This was never explained to him when he inherited the house that he need to maybe have a different type for renters or have a different type for him owning the house or if he wanted to keep some of his stuff over there or other peoples stuff, etc.......

Moral of the story is like i told my cousin a few minutes ago, check your policys with whom ever you have ins. with and make sure the coverage you have is actually what you need so you dont end up like us cause it sucks!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts