2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if I can keep a bull red. I'm wondering because I know when you get a fishing license you get a bull red tag. Well since I'm only 14 do I get to keep one or not. I'm thinking probably not because if I could then every time someone went fishing with their kid and caught a bull red they would be able to keep it. So I'm thinking I'm not aloud to. I would probably only keep one if it had swallowed the hook and I thought he didn't have a chance although I hear they are very good when smoked.

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
I'm not sure but I believe you need to buy a license for the tag and being 14 its a different price for you than adults.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Bro jr.

You have to have a tag, which means you have to have a license. Ya wouldnt really want to keep one anyway. Ive never ate a bullred, but Ive heard they aint good eating. And dem worms. Yuuk!

And think of this. A Bullred is probably twice your age, sometimes older, its a Female, the egg bearer and they are needed for reproductive purposes. And they keep the men Redfish in line and out of trouble. LOL

·
Grand Master of Thread Kill
1,591 Posts
i'm not sure

how you'd go about taggin one unless you have a tag. which means you'd have to be old enough to have to buy a license. personally i'd only use a tag on a fish that wasn't gonna make it... like you said. or on a 29 or 30"er if i was really fish hungry.

lance are you out there?? we need clarity.

otherwise ditto angler. they are the breed stock. if they'll make it, by all means let em go. it takes a long time (and a lot of hooks passed by) for a red to get to breeding size.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I said I would only keep one if it had swallowed the hook and couldn't get it to swim off.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Channelcat is correct

You would need a Special Resident Fishing License (Type 203) in order to get the tag.

Lance

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Even if it was gut hooked and didn't look like it was going to make I think I would let him swim off and become part of the food chain. Crabs have got eat also. I say one cleaned on the peer once and it wasn't pertty.

·
Salt/Freshwater Angler
214 Posts
last year (when i was 16) i bought a bull red tag by itself for like 6 bucks...this year 33 bucks

·
Registered
136 Posts
circle hooks

Howdy,if your target fish are ''Bullreds''a good hook to use is the circle hook.It rarely comes loose and is almost never swallowed by the fish.good luck on the water!

·
Registered
798 Posts
After taking a look at the new regulations, I found that after Sept.1, 2004 an exempt red drum tag will cost $3.00. It is available to those that are exempt from purchasing a license.

·
----------------------------------------
23,724 Posts
IMO, no one should feel guilty keeping one bull red a year. But try to keep it under
32" for better meat quality.

MEGABITE

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I usually wouldn't keep one even if they are only a inch or two over 28 but I heard the big ones in the 40 inch and up range are very good if smoked right well I didn't believe it. So a freind went fishing and got one that swallowed a hook and he couldn't get it to swim away and it was a 46 incher he said there were no worms in it and he cooked it and I tried it and it was very good, but I still had a weird feeling in my stomach because I was eating a beautiful fish that could have made a lot more fish, and was probably older than me. Also I always think that they once were on the edge of going on the almost extinct list when I catch a bull red and now I was eating one! But if he can't swim away then I would take him, but I would probably try to revive him for 30 minites or if need be 45 but that is a long time to try and revive a fish and if he doesn't swim away then I would take him. And 30 or 45 minites may sound crazy, but I would rather see him swim away then on the dinner table!

·
bait chunker n fish yanker
71 Posts
Dont think just because the Fish is guthooked it wont survive.. I caught a bull red that had been gut hooked and broke off... That fish passed the entire steel cable leader and it was hanging out of it anus. I just clipped the leader as close as I could and let the fish go again... I am pretty sure that leader and hook just rusted away as that fish was pretty healthy still when I caught it.

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,936 Posts
You don't clean a bull red..

you butcher it. Got talked into keeping one years ago. Your right, it's an ugly sight and I'll never do it again, for lots of reasons. Almost lost a finger on that thing.

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,369 Posts
Whopperstopper is right, bull reds are built to eat crabs,and other stuff that would tear most things up. They can live through being gut hooked. Have saw it to many times, I catch a few bull reds each year that have hooks still in the stomach and are about to rust out. If it can swim off,let it. The only ones that we keep are the ones that the hook has ripped through the gills. A bull red eats fast, even with a circle it will tear gills sometimes.

Steelersfan with a bull red that had a hook coming out of its anus

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts