2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lucky this fall to have a little more time to get down and fish the surf. Drive an hour, put out some lines, have a smoke, read a book, hang some nice reds, etc.

I've been additionally lucky to catch quite a few nice Bulls this year and without fail onlookers will materialize during the fight and want to look at the fish, pat you on the back, and ask "what is that?".

At least 8-9 times this year I've had guys take the next step and give me the "Hey you gonna keep that?". I usually don't keep them. I lived in Lousiana long enought to know that reds up to 43" can be good table fare but I don't eat them now, I'd rather let em all go.

It pizzes me off to no end to have guys come up and ask for my fish and then to act kind of mad when I say no I'm gonna let it go. I told one guy, "you can have it if I see you put a tag on it" and he didn't know what I was talking about and then got mad when I said he couldn't have it. I've had guys say "What kind of fish is that? You gonna keep it?" It's always the backwards, half drunk 2WD beach donut crowd, too. Who I prefer not to associate with if I don't have to, especially when it's just me and my lady friend.

Am I too touchy? To me it's like being in a bar and asking the guy next to you is he's gonna finish that beer. Maybe, maybe not, but mind your own business.

·
I potlick so i can drink
592 Posts
I tagged a bull red (40 or so incher) about 4 years ago. I fried some that night and it was horrible. I didn't want to waste the fish so I fried it up at a company picnic. Put a ton of mustard and Tony's on it. For now on I use my tag on a fish that is borderline 28 and over. That is if my freezer is low on fish!
I see many illegals keeping oversized redfish at the Mouth of Brazos. It makes me sick. I bet hardhead and gaftop taste better than bulls.

·
Follically Challenged
5,373 Posts
I tagged a bull red (40 or so incher) about 4 years ago. I fried some that night and it was horrible. I didn't want to waste the fish so I fried it up at a company picnic. Put a ton of mustard and Tony's on it. For now on I use my tag on a fish that is borderline 28 and over. That is if my freezer is low on fish!
I see many illegals keeping oversized redfish at the Mouth of Brazos. It makes me sick. I bet hardhead and gaftop taste better than bulls.
I catch and release the Bulls. I do not find them good table fare, some people do. I will not give them away either, no matter how much asking or pleading is done. I see people from different ethnic origins keeping and not tagging Bulls at the M.O.B. Calling all of them illegals is just not true, that is kinda like racial profiling but, what ya see is what ya get. The M.O.B. in the last 15 yrs has become the "armpit" of Brazoria County. I know because I have fished it for 40+ years.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Same here on the MOB,I ahve been fishing down there for almost 50 years and it has become a trash pit. And every time you catch a decent fish the non-english -speaking are begging you in english for your fish,you ask them to see their fishing license (I do) and they no speaky english no more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I catch and release the Bulls. I do not find them good table fare, some people do. I will not give them away either, no matter how much asking or pleading is done. I see people from different ethnic origins keeping and not tagging Bulls at the M.O.B. Calling all of them illegals is just not true, that is kinda like racial profiling but, what ya see is what ya get. The M.O.B. in the last 15 yrs has become the "armpit" of Brazoria County. I know because I have fished it for 40+ years.
X2 But it is what it is ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts