2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the planning stages of building a rod strictly for throwing topwater plugs in the surf. I keep hearing fiberglass is the way to go. 7' seems like the length for me. I will be putting a curado on it. Can anyone reccommend a blank for this? Any words of wisdom? Am I headed in the right direction?

·
Registered
265 Posts
lets see..... g loomis if you have the money... st criox has some really nice blanks out.... and at www.mudhole.com they have whole kits that u can buy... also another great blank would be graphite usa.. they are suppost to be just as good as g loomis.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Ed, I have never heard that fiberglass is the way to go, but there may be some validity to that.

I think the most important thing to look for is what will keep you from getting tired so quickly - working tops is a chore and can wear you out.

I would look for something as light as possible. The Loomis rods will fit this bill. I also think length is not important. Even in the surf since most of the time, the structure for trout is close to the beach. I have heard of some topwater anglers using rods as short as 5.5 feet. The shorter length will help to keep you going a lot longer.

This is just hear-say since I am not a topwater expert. However, my trout rod is a loomis that is 6 .5 feet long. This is the one I use lures with. My other trout rod is 8 feet long. I have worked lures with it but I can tell a big difference in the two. I mostly use the longer rod for live bait fishing.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
I agree with SurfRunner....

fiberglass is more of a crankbait rod. its less responsive than graphite and works wonders with crankbaits but with topwater I would want the most responsive rod I could get. my main rigs are not over 6'6"... I have used a 5'2" rod for tops in fresh and its just as good or better as the long rods.... you just dont have as much leverage as the long stix do.. correct me if I am wrong..........JJ

·
Back in da Saddle
10,160 Posts
Good luck standing in the surf with a glass rod chunking top's all day !!! your arm's will cry uncle shortly .... go with a Light Blank from Allstar or Calstar !!!...

John

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the feedback!

I went with a titanium graphite blank by Allstar. 6'6" and fast action. It's called the topwater special and it's under $100. I'm using cork and fuji alconite guides. I'll post up a pic when I'm done.....thanks for the responses!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts