2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start building my own custom rods and I really dont know where to start. Was just wondering how I should get started. Any Info would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for a 6 1/2 to 71/2 med./heavy rod. Thanks for all the info.
Thanks Again,

·
Registered
280 Posts
Read evertyhing you can get your hands on about rod building. Also, you might want to check with FTU as I think they have a free class coming up that covers beginning rod making. Ask questions here and you'll get plenty of help.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Pasquale
On January 23rd there will be a free rodbuilding class at FTU. It will start at 10:00AM and end at 6:00PM. We will cover everything from Basic rodbuilding to crosswraps to marbleing. There will be rod kits available for purchase for anyone that would like to start building their own rod.
Pat

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
If you don't want to wait till then just walk in to the back part of Fishing Tackle Unlimited where the rod building stuff is and ask for Terry (that's the store on 45 south and beltway 8). He's a poster here and he's there most the time. He's a nice guy and will work with you all you want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your best bet is to go to the class at FTU or find someone near you that can show you the ropes. You should get a few books on the subject like those offered by Gubebrod and Flexcoat for the basics. I'd also get Dale Clemen's Advanced Custom Rod Building and Tom Kirkman's Rod Building Guide. The only video I've seen is Flex Coat's and I'd recommend it. I think it's easier sometimes if you can see things as opposed to just reading them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts