2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Parrothead
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,
I am very new to blue water fishing and am trying to get gear together for future trips. I have several rods but my main one is a custom 6ft boat rod built on a Seeker blank. I have it paired with a Penn Senator 6/0 with 50# mono and 50# Power Pro. I am going to add about 50 to 75 yards of 80# topshot. Should have about 650 yards total on the reel.

My question is this: if you were going to build a tackle box to catch a variety of fish in a variety of conditions, using the above rod, what tackel would you consider essential? What hooks and lures for various fish?

I know this is a very broad question, but I have to start somewhere. All suggestions would be appreciated. Also, if you could provide a picture of a specific lure or a link to a site to buy it that would REALLY be helpful.

Thanks again,
John

· Parrothead
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also have a Penn Long Beach 68 (similar to a 4/0) with 20# on a 7ft rod. And a few spinning rods as well (15 to 20# on them).

I do plan on going after some larger YFT, AJ and snappers. I would also like a wahoo and a few sharks. Hell, while I am at it, throw in a few bill fish. :p

I appreciate the recommendations so far and I see a few things that are going on the list already.

I just want to make sure that I have enough variety and options to go out and have a chance at catching something. I will get more specific tackle before each trip, but this is a great start. Keep it coming.

Thanks,
John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.