2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Parrothead
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,
I am very new to blue water fishing and am trying to get gear together for future trips. I have several rods but my main one is a custom 6ft boat rod built on a Seeker blank. I have it paired with a Penn Senator 6/0 with 50# mono and 50# Power Pro. I am going to add about 50 to 75 yards of 80# topshot. Should have about 650 yards total on the reel.

My question is this: if you were going to build a tackle box to catch a variety of fish in a variety of conditions, using the above rod, what tackel would you consider essential? What hooks and lures for various fish?

I know this is a very broad question, but I have to start somewhere. All suggestions would be appreciated. Also, if you could provide a picture of a specific lure or a link to a site to buy it that would REALLY be helpful.

Thanks again,
John

·
Old ******
4,527 Posts
From the look of it you are going to pursue some big fish using the 50 class tackle. That's either deep bottom fishing stuff or big pelagics. Let us know which and you'll get a lot of advice.
Cheers

·
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager
1,249 Posts
Hey JCasisa, Your combo would be a bit heavy for jigging but good for trolling and deep drops. Let us know as Team Sponge asked what type of fishing you want to do and we will help you out.

·
Registered
949 Posts
For jigging for snapper and amberjacks I'd get a couple of snapper slappers, some BIG curly plastic grub worms with 3-4 ounce glow in the dark jig heads. Also pick up a few diamond jigs for jigging. The 6/0 is a little heavy for jigging but it'd work. As long as you have the strenght to hold it. I can jig all day with a Penn International 30W.

Trolling: Rapala's in pink and black/silver. Moldcraft lures are good for trolling. I suppose some high speed jet heads for wahoo. A poster on the board here makes a nice looking wahoo lure. Chaos lures are pretty good as well. www.chaoslures.com

And sometimes nothing beats a good ol' ballyhoo trolled either with a skirt or skirtless.

That should give you a pretty good place to get started. Hope that helps.

Get Wild

Eric

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
What Eric said about the random lures for multiple kinds of fish is good. For terminal tackle Id keep from 4 oz to 12oz eggs for AJ/large snapper and for trolling a little deeper with ribbons and ballyhoo. keep a spool of ~100lb mono for making leaders. Keep hooks in both circle and J style from 4/0 to 12/0 in a decent brand. I like the owner hooks now personally and also use the razor sharp and mustad(cheapies for snapper fishing). I like using the big yellow waterproof gear bag with lure bags and plastic containers in it. I always have my yozuri bonitas, some 6-9" skirts, iland ballyhoods, other iland lures, green machine, sevenstrand softheads and some other various stuff.

·
Parrothead
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also have a Penn Long Beach 68 (similar to a 4/0) with 20# on a 7ft rod. And a few spinning rods as well (15 to 20# on them).

I do plan on going after some larger YFT, AJ and snappers. I would also like a wahoo and a few sharks. Hell, while I am at it, throw in a few bill fish. :p

I appreciate the recommendations so far and I see a few things that are going on the list already.

I just want to make sure that I have enough variety and options to go out and have a chance at catching something. I will get more specific tackle before each trip, but this is a great start. Keep it coming.

Thanks,
John

·
Old ******
4,527 Posts
That Penn Long Beach is a great reel. I used them a lot fishing for huge grouper in the Arabian Gulf and they never let me down. We trolled with them, bottom fished and even surf casted (is casted a word???). Load those babies with 20# and you can go for whatever swims out there except maybe the beasties.

I like the snapper slappers and some of the others mentioned but the lure I always take out when things are slow is the Rapala Magnum 18 with the diving lip. My favorites are the green or blue mackerel colors. Some like the red and white but I've not had that much luck with them.

Another great lure is a tuna clone. That's a high-speed lure that we use when on the way out to the fishing grounds. More often than not we catch a nice ling or dorado with them. We've caught nice fish with those when going over 30mph. They also work well for tuna and sails.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
One of my favorite trolling lures is a big Rattle Trap. I have a couple red/white that seem to really PO the kingfish. Drag it just as fast as it will stay in the water and you will get bit.

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
Load that 6/0 with 80 hollow JB spectra and change topshots as needed. For tuna use a 50 or 80 topshot, amberjack 80 topshot. Topshots can be changed in a few minutes using loop to loop connections.

Your 60 would work with 20 to 40.
My deepwater reels are as follows: Tiagra 30wlrs 80 spectra, 6/0 penn 80 spectra and 80 topshot, 4/0 penn 65 spectra and 50 topshot, several jigmasters with anything from 20 to 40 on them.
I'm still learning salt and upgrading as I can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Few packs of Mustad 39950BL size 6/0, 7/0, 8/0 and 9/0 will get you covers in hook department for tuna and AJ.
Give Sea star by Iland lure a try. Troll it way way way back around 7-8 knot, most of the time tuna will hit it, just my 0.02 cents. Wahoo will hit it too.

tongkol aka minnow

·
Registered
949 Posts
Those lures look alright. I wouldn't buy all of them though. The shape of a lure's head is as or most likely more important than its color. Fish are more attracted to the "noise" a lure makes than it's color in my opinion.

As far as quality goes, a 'cuda or wahoo can destroy the skirt on a $10 lure as easily as $100 lure.

Get Wild

Eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts