2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
try this guy,has done some work for us and seems toknow what he is doing. Eight pest conttrol, don't have number but will get it for you tommorrow

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I had rent houses, and did what br549 did, trench and pour, several times through the years. Always did the trick for about $100. Mix per instructions (I did it double strength) in 5 gal bucket, trench about the size of a 2 X 4 all around. Build little "dams" every 10' and pour in 5 gal bucket full. Repeat around the foundation.

Chlordane was the best treatment money could buy!! Lasted years. I think that giant termite that knocks on doors in the commercial, bribed our lawmakers to ban it!! LOL

Later
R3F

·
quando omni flunkus, mortati
1,506 Posts
Found a 2 1/2 gallon jug of Chlordane that I used on my first house. That stuff was amazing. If you put it in a sprayer and got any on you, your skin would tingle!!

·
Texas Rod Builders
6,336 Posts
Just call around to some (termite) pest control and see what they charge per lineal foot. It's usually around $3. Measure around your slab, all the way around the house and that should give you a good estimate of cost. If they won't quote a per foot cost, I'd look somewhere else....I thought about doing it myself, but I like the peace of mind knowing I have a guarantee and that the chemicals were applied safely and professionally....I used The Bug Man and was very satisfied. He's out of the Pearland/Manvel area but goes anywhere around greater and suburban Houston.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Found a 2 1/2 gallon jug of Chlordane that I used on my first house. That stuff was amazing. If you put it in a sprayer and got any on you, your skin would tingle!!
What does that dilute to un gallons? The Terminex guy said that the qoute would use 80+ gallons of termidor SC around the perimitor of the house.

·
quando omni flunkus, mortati
1,506 Posts
What does that dilute to un gallons? The Terminex guy said that the qoute would use 80+ gallons of termidor SC around the perimitor of the house.
It has been banned since the late 60s or early 70s I think. I cant remember what I used on the house were in now but I mixed it heavy and havent seen any for years. Just dig a trench around the slab and pour it from buckets. Under the patio you are going to need to drill through the slab and pump it in. Good size masonry bit followed up by a rod that will fit through the hole to open up a cavity under there and spray it in with a pump up sprayer. Might have to repeat that one a few times over several days to make sure you get plenty in there!!

·
Wait a minute...I gotta bump.
1,360 Posts
A few years ago, I used a product called Termidor that I got on Ebay. Haven't had a termite problem since. It's very effective...same principle, mix with water, trench around your slab and pour it in. It's really concentrated so a lil goes a long way.

It's what the pros use, but diy and save some $$.

·
Make blood !!!
3,707 Posts
I recently had my interior painted and saw a strange sawdust like power on my wall? Does anyone know what the heck they are? We built this house in 2007 and are worried. I did find some ants with wings a few months ago comming into the living room through the Corner of the window near the all where the sheetrock eating bug is. Could it be carpenter ants?

Any tips would be appreciated?
If you had the home built in 07,and had to finance it,majority of the mortgage companies require a Termite treatment in order to fund. Those treatments usually come with a 10 year certificate. Maybe more or less. Might want to check and see if you have something like this. If so,they will cover the work and repair of any structure after a deductible sometimes. Which is way cheaper than 2k. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
What ever you do, don't dig the trench and pour in diesel and cover the trench. Not environmental friendly and keeps termites away for long time. :)

·
God bless the USA!
11,611 Posts
Just call around to some (termite) pest control and see what they charge per lineal foot. It's usually around $3. Measure around your slab, all the way around the house and that should give you a good estimate of cost. If they won't quote a per foot cost, I'd look somewhere else....I thought about doing it myself, but I like the peace of mind knowing I have a guarantee and that the chemicals were applied safely and professionally....I used The Bug Man and was very satisfied. He's out of the Pearland/Manvel area but goes anywhere around greater and suburban Houston.
A quote has to done by a licensed tech and must include a graph of the proposed treatment as well as any warranty information - that cannot be done by phone. The telephone person can give a ballpark figure - like it will probably cost between $700 - $900 - but not an estimate, quote or price per foot.

·
God bless the USA!
11,611 Posts
A few years ago, I used a product called Termidor that I got on Ebay. Haven't had a termite problem since. It's very effective...same principle, mix with water, trench around your slab and pour it in. It's really concentrated so a lil goes a long way.

It's what the pros use, but diy and save some $$.
FYI, its a violation of Federal law for a non-licensed person to apply Termidor. You can buy it legally, but not apply it.

(copied off the Termidor SC label)

DIRECTIONS FOR USE
It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling.

Read entire label before using this product.

For use by individuals/firms licensed or registered by the state to apply termiticide products. States may have more restrictive requirements regarding qualifications of persons using this product. Consult the structural pest control regulatory agency of your state prior to use of this product.

·
Wait a minute...I gotta bump.
1,360 Posts
FYI, its a violation of Federal law for a non-licensed person to apply Termidor. You can buy it legally, but not apply it.

(copied off the Termidor SC label)

DIRECTIONS FOR USE
It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling.

Read entire label before using this product.

For use by individuals/firms licensed or registered by the state to apply termiticide products. States may have more restrictive requirements regarding qualifications of persons using this product. Consult the structural pest control regulatory agency of your state prior to use of this product.
Well then, oops, my bad. :)

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Ya know, I usually obey all the BIG laws....I don't consider that one a BIG law!! LOL

When ya mixed chlordane, I don't remember exactly, but it was like a couple of tablespoons to five gallons. A little went a long way! I usually didn't measure....just put in about what it was supposed to be....and a little more.

I knew a guy that did the diesel thing...said it was YEARS before the smell went away!! LOL But it did solve the termite problem.

Later
R3F

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Hmmm, when i accidentally dug the trench and spilled the diesel...accidently.....I immediately covered the trench again and never noticed a smell. My diesel also accidentally got some used motor oil mixed in it to before I accidentally spilled it in the trench.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I ended up going with TeamAddiction, Bowen Exterminators. Joe came out and got down to it. He inspected my perimiter and interior and told me were I stand. Its not as bad as I thought and he pointed out things that I should correct so I dont attract more termites.

He ended up having to treat the back porch. He pointed out a dead tree stump from ike that was at the grass level, I removed a chunk of that stump by kicking it and sure enough, there were termites there and treated that area as well.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Aside from removing the rotten stump, what else did he advise?
I had a roof leak that I never fixed aftger IKE that had rotted the plywood near the roof overhang pretty much over the wall the back wall near where the termites came out of. I never got around to fixing it. He said that the termites look for moisture and if that roof leak was leaking into my wall that would be a good environment for them to habitage in since they would not have to go back into the ground for moisture.

He also recomended that if I was going to put more mulch in my landcaping in the front of the house, to make sure that I have plenty of foundation visible so termites don't use that as another entry point in a new section to come in through.

I forgot to mention that he also put out bait stations around my home.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts