2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for something to liberate pecan trees from tree-rats. I need some first-hand testamony on that little Rossi single and the Henry lever. I think Savage makes a <$200 bolt, but nobody carries it.

I plan to shoot shorts or cb's

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't know where you live, but Tomball Pawn can find a lot of guns.

I don't know if it'll shoot shorts or what the price of a new one is, but if it'll fit those two needs the Ruger 10/22 is hard to beat. I have a Win. lever action 22 that is sweet, but I'm not sure what it costs as I've had it for a long time.

I would think the local Wal-Mart would be able to fill your needs, but who knows?

You could always use a shotgun.

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
Buy a 22 mag and extend your range. Or, if your mission is strictly to dispatch them effectively, use a shotgun.

So far as 22's, I bought my son a Marlin 66 at WalMart last year. Plenty accurate. Within the effective range of a 22, I don't know that a bolt action makes much difference.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
town or country?

First of all, a Ruger 10/22 won't shoot .22 shorts without an adapter. That's an expensive part.

For best results with shorts, go with a bolt action single shot, or a break-open single shot. They're accurate and quiet.

Are you in town or in the country? If you're in town, a good pellet gun might be a better alternative. They make some fine airguns these days.

Pawn shops are good places to find a .22, but Academy and Walmart have some good, cheap models that are new, so you aren't taking chances of something being messed up with the gun.

If you are in the country and want the best out there, go with a rifle in the .17 HMR. It's killer on yard rats, and SUPER-ACCURATE.

Good luck.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Most single shots, lever actions, and bolt actions will shoot 22 shorts. The older 10/22 Ruger and Marlin auto's will not.

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
Sorry, didn't see the part about shooting shorts. Disregard my suggestion on the 22 mag and the auto.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am kinda in town and the tree is kinda close to the neighbor's house. Quiet is necessary.

I don't want to join the $100 club, like most of my neighbors have done.

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
I can't believe no-one has told him to not be shooting (even 22 shorts) in the air. They come down somewhere, whether it be the garden, the neighbors roof, or the neighborhood stray cat. (which might not be a bad thing).

Go get a .22 pellet gun - you can get one at Academy with a scope for $85 - I've been killing pigeons with mine.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Get a pellet gun. They have ones with scopes too. You can get one with a C02 cartiride that are strong, but wont be a lead flying accident waiting to happen.

I used a sheriden pellet gun for years, these things are strong but dont require alot of shell.

·
Reel Gambler
3,748 Posts
The 22 pellet guns is the WTG......Unlike Pogie I like tree rats.....cats on the other hand......well let me just say, I have never seen one that wasn't a stray (even the one the wife had)...they are all pellet gun fodder!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would definetly recommend buying a sheridan .22 pellet gun. I have one and killed atleast 10 squirrel with min last year. And they are fairly quite. One thing you might want to try is shooting some low velocity loads in with a .22. I have friend who does this all the time and he swears that it is as quite as a pellet gun.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
down side to a pellet rifle is that someone may try to cock it using the scope as a lever.

oh.. since my last post, I noticed that my squirrel has made babies. That *****!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts