2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to the stand Saturday afternoon around 3:15. Waited for a while before seeing anything, hardly anything is coming to our feeders. Unless you count the hundreds of hogs in the middle of the night. However, around 5:15, 4 doe came to a feeder we have set on one of our roads. The whole time they were at the feeder eating they continued to look into the woods, and remained uneasy. They ate for around 25 minutes, and slowly walked into the woods to the right of my tripod. After they walked off into the woods I was able to re-adjust myself and check down the other shooting lanes we have. I looked back to my right and "he" walked out. He came from the direction the does were looking, but had no interest in the corn. I put him in the scope, but he wouldn't stop. So I grabbed my grunt call and blew at him. He stopped just long enough, and for me to place a shot at the lower part of his neck.

Taxidermist aged him a 6 1/2. We hunt in Caldwell County where the deer don't usually get too big, so this one was a definite trophy.

Attachments

·
Equine connoisseur
2,264 Posts
Nice deer! Funky how that brow time is up the beam aways. Congrats!

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Congrats...that buck is a dandy.

Caldwell Co. has produced some big bucks in recent years. Last year there was a 170 class buck killed up on Plum Creek, northeast of Lockhart and the year before a 160 was killed in that same area. I saw the 170 and know the guy that shot the 160 (saw it too). Both were killed on small, low fence pastures in or near the heavy cover of the creek and near ag fields.

What taxidermist are you using? I use Scott Garrison in Luling.

·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did I mention that for some reason the shakes occurred after the shot....wow. It was nothing a few drinks around the fire couldn't help.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Very nice!! No matter where he's from. That's a stout buck. Congrats!!

·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE=StinkBait;2460103]Dam nice buck! LOL, take off that camo pattern next time you take a pic, I had to squint to see it![/QUOTE]

Haha. I didn't even think about it until I was looking at the pictures the next day.:headknock

1 - 20 of 35 Posts