2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone confirm or give correct coordinate for the Buccaneer Oil Field Reef out of Galveston. I came up with the one below, not sure:

N28 52.8
W94 41.7

Wanting to make a trip to it Saturday morning, seas is around 2', anyone making the same trip?

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,286 Posts
BrandyJack said:
Can someone confirm or give correct coordinate for the Buccaneer Oil Field Reef out of Galveston. I came up with the one below, not sure:

N28 52.8
W94 41.7

Wanting to make a trip to it Saturday morning, seas is around 2', anyone making the same trip?
I sent you a PM that might help ya. Be careful and not donate an anchor like so many others have there :smile:

Water should be around 70' and as mentioned above about 27 nm out of Galveston. The last time I was out there, which was last summer there was a big TPWL bouy marking the reef. Be ready to catch and donate some tackle to the sharks, theres a bunch there :smile:

Good luck to yall

Hog

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buccaneer Field

Thanks for all the PM. I will be there at the TPWD bouy around 12 noon.
In a Sea Pro bay boat, if forecast condition hold up.

Tight Lines!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a question, and I know BrandyJack is out now, but I have the same boat as he except the motor. I have a 21' Sea Pro Bay Boat, with a 125 Merc. It has a 50 gal gas tank. Is that enough to get to this reef and back? I've never gone more than a few miles out. Just don't want to trust my fuel gauge, it has a mind of its own! Thanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll take a little xtra just in case. How did you do yesterday BrandyJack? I'm going in the morning and was hoping for a report. Thanks....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Got to Yatch Basin at around 5:30, they place was almost full, tournament going on. We did got in an lanched here. Got 2 dozen of ribbon fishing, 2 boxes of Cigar Minnow, 2 Bags of ice.

Stop at 1st oil rig with hellicopter flatform about 12 miles out on heading of 175 degrees. Got 4 person limit of King Mackerel here, left at 9:30 for Buccaneer.
Arrive at Buccaneer, bottom fishes until 11:30. Caught all under sized Red Snapper, and all the Angel fish to be had. Family had a good time watching the dolphins waiting for and getting the undersized Red Snapper that we throw back. Got back to the oil rig we were at, got 4 Bonita and more Kings that we threw back. Headed in around 2pm. We decides not to fish Sunday and headed back to Dallas.

The Sea Pro handled the 2' sea okay if we cruise under 30MPH, would get a beating above 30MPH, Did not get spray at all.

Thanks for an unforgettable offshore trip.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Are the rigs still there? Haven't fished there in many years and noticed that it's not on my offshore charts. Also, does anyone remember when the Mr. Gus II was drilling way past Buc. field (this was over 20 years ago)? If so, would anyone happen to have the coordinates? We caught a ton of fish there but I think they hit a dry hole and moved on but it had to be sitting on some structure to hold that many fish.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Danno93 said:
I have a question, and I know BrandyJack is out now, but I have the same boat as he except the motor. I have a 21' Sea Pro Bay Boat, with a 125 Merc. It has a 50 gal gas tank. Is that enough to get to this reef and back? I've never gone more than a few miles out. Just don't want to trust my fuel gauge, it has a mind of its own! Thanks.
Does your gauge read higher when running than when at idle? I have a SV2100CC and it reads considerably higher when running - sometimes almost 1/2 tank different. Kinda makes you nervous whenever it drops off full and irritating when you feel you have to stop to see how much you've burned. This is the only complaint I've had with this boat but it still bothers me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts