2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
If that is the one I think it is sometimes more sometimes less. Its an old capped well that the oil company wont do anything about. They are supposed to fix it but been going on for years. Supposed to be illegal. First time I saw it it scared the you know what out of me. Thought it was a sea monster coming to get me.Like Jules Vernes or something

Charlie

·
Salty Dawg
7,717 Posts
It's probably a ruptured natural gas pipe line.

·
Salty Dawg
7,717 Posts
Sorry Charlie. I was typing the same time you were.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
Drive over it and light a match ... then it will send you to apollo in one swift motion!!!!!

John

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Beer4bait

Looks like to me the divers have already had plenty of beans.

JABX1962 re cordinates nothing around there but big kingfish and snapper

Charlie

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think that discharge is by design and environmentally safe. Some platforms have a designated vent line that discharges periodically. I think it is just compressed air that they vent. Obviously its not an environmental issue, I dont see any sheen on the water.

I have seen these type of vents offshore while working on rigs nearby.

·
Salty Dawg
7,717 Posts
I think (could be wrong) that the MMS no longer allows under water venting or flaring. Most platforms dry there gas after compressing it, before it goes into the pipeline. Wet gas will cause a hydrate plug in the pipeline. Most gas contracts call for the gas to contain less than 7lbs of water per 1000cubic feet of gas but most operators try to stay below 4lbs on the shelf and below 2lbs in deep water. Because this gas is so dry it usually wont cause a sheen if a leak occurs.

·
Salty Dawg
7,717 Posts
There may still be some out there. If that's what it is it will be pretty close to a production platform.
Over the Edge said:
I think that discharge is by design and environmentally safe. Some platforms have a designated vent line that discharges periodically. I think it is just compressed air that they vent. Obviously its not an environmental issue, I dont see any sheen on the water.

I have seen these type of vents offshore while working on rigs nearby.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Vent

What would happen if you got upwind and fired a flare into it ? Think it might get someones attention ?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I believe I know the exact location of this one. We saw it last thursday. That sucker was blowing all day long, and it wasn't very close to any of the nearby rigs. I didn't get too close for obvious reasons, but there was some serious volume being "vented" if indeed that was the case.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It isnt within 5-7 miles of a rig. It was very continuous in the discharge. I'd say between 40-50feet in diameter. Didn't know if it was worth reporting or not? No odor although nat gas doesnt. Still trying to do figure out how to harness the gas and sell it if it is nat gas. I could use some of that artificial money.
jason

·
Registered
652 Posts
correct me if I am wrong, but if you drove over it you would sink correct? Because with all of the gas the water is way less dense there.

Gps coordinates would probably very helpfull for those running at night.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Weird :confused: , I goind to keep my eye on this thread to see if anyone knows exactly what tha is, i would keep my distance from that thing if i ever see it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'll get the coordinates off my boat next time I'm on board. That thing was large enough to be very dangerous.

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
Venting

The Bubblers has they are called have been there for many, many years. It's not anything that has popped up overnight. My understanding is that divers have been down on it numerous times and it is not and old platform or pipeline, it is coming from under ground. Gater

1 - 20 of 134 Posts