2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well almost...kinda...sorta!LOL

We were'nt offshore, but it was a little spooky anyway!

I was fishing the Texas Oilman Tournament and had 6 solid trout on the stringer. I felt a strong jerk on the stinger....then a huge splash.....then about 5 or 6 feet worth of shark go racing past my left leg. The darn thing almost pulled me off my feet before I braced myself. It pulled two of my trout off, it didn't even leave the heads...they were GONE!

Needless to say the two guys fishing with me had one eye looking over their shoulder the rest of the day. When they caught fish they walked them back to the boat, so they wouldn't have them on their stringer! WHIMPS! LOL

P.S. I didn't break any more fiberglass this time!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Captn, what a year you have had. Glad you didn't make the news! I have always feared sharks whenever I am in the water with fish on a stringer. I think it goes back to my childhood when snapping turtles used to help themselves to my stringer of bluegills, crappies, and bass.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Samething happened to my dad about 30 years ago when we were wading in Magnolia Bay near where the Powderhorn empties into it off of Indianola. He pulled in his stringer after the first tug and didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary so kept fishing. The 2nd tug near pulled him backwards into the water and broke his waders suspender strap. The stringer though stayed tied to the strap. He pulled it in and had nothing but heads left from several 15" trout. That was the closest I ever saw my dad come to actually walking on water.

After that we started using a fish basket with a life jacket tied to the top. This was before they came out with the ones with the floating lids. It worked great - fish stayed alive all day and no more shark problems.

Earl

Captn C said:
Well almost...kinda...sorta!LOL

We were'nt offshore, but it was a little spooky anyway!

I was fishing the Texas Oilman Tournament and had 6 solid trout on the stringer. I felt a strong jerk on the stinger....then a huge splash.....then about 5 or 6 feet worth of shark go racing past my left leg. The darn thing almost pulled me off my feet before I braced myself. It pulled two of my trout off, it didn't even leave the heads...they were GONE!

Needless to say the two guys fishing with me had one eye looking over their shoulder the rest of the day. When they caught fish they walked them back to the boat, so they wouldn't have them on their stringer! WHIMPS! LOL

P.S. I didn't break any more fiberglass this time!

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke with one of the guides when I was at the cleaning table Saturday and he said they had a shark in the same area eat the floating basket one day last week.

This was my second attack, the first was years ago on Mustang Island while fishing the surf. The fourth time I've seen it happen. So far all the people came out fine...except for a few new gray hairs!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Did he actually eat the basket? :)

Man that would really be time to get out of the water! We never had another incident after that. Infact, its what we allways started using even on piers such as Bob Hall. I got to where I really liked them. The fish seemed to like the baskets an awfully lot more too.

I remember one nite when I was in college at CCSU I was fishing the Cole Park pier there in Corpus with my best friend. We filled that dang basket up with so many sand trout that you could hardly lift it up out of the water and haul it up on the pier anymore. Those were the days. That used to be an awesome pier.

Earl

Captn C said:
I spoke with one of the guides when I was at the cleaning table Saturday and he said they had a shark in the same area eat the floating basket one day last week.

This was my second attack, the first was years ago on Mustang Island while fishing the surf. The fourth time I've seen it happen. So far all the people came out fine...except for a few new gray hairs!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Check out the thread Matagorda run report 06/12/04 by Jolly Roger on the shark board. Those were all caught in the wade gut on Saturday evening at about 6 or 7 miles down the beach from Jetty Park. BTW, they all went back in the surf very much alive.
As Capt Billy Sandifer says "If you are in past your knees, you are part of the food chain."
Be careful and use long stringers.

·
Site Sponsor
250 Posts
Earl,

I spent 6 years (some as a student) at UCC before it became CCSU. Graduated (finally) in '67. I spent most winter and early spring afternoons wading the sandbars between OSO and NAS.

That was before baskets (at least that I knew of) so I wore a long stringer, especially in spring.

Spent many good nights on the old Bob Hall Pier (pre Celia), as well as quite a few pre Carla. Tarpon hole used to be something! Shark baits also yielded some really "interesting catches".

Y'all please s'cuse the rambling of an old man in the throes of instant memories! :)
Mike

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts