2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago my wife found this rod blank, probably on EBay, and since I was still doing some freshwater rod wrapping and guide repair, she decided to buy it. The rod's color is a dark brown and it is perfect condition... and stiff as a pool cue!
The metallic gold sticker on the butt sez:
Browning Silaflex
5'3" IGFA 50# Trolling Rod Blank

I have never built a saltwater rod - or any other Heavy rod - but am getting interested in going offshore some so... what is a rod like this used for King/Dorado or YFT/Marlin? What size reel should go on this rod? Do I sell/trade it and buy something ready made for a snapper rod? What is the blank worth? How much would it cost to build this blank into something usaeable? I am totally in the dark so any insight would be appreciated.
Ron

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
I ma no offshore fisherman by any means. i would put a Penn 6/0. I am not sure what would be the right reel to compliment that blank. with the sprile wrapped craze, you could spirel wrap with AFTCO rollar guides. sorry I couldnt help you more..................JJ

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Spiral Wrap 50#

HI GUYS
I HAVE USED THAT ROD BLANK MANY TIMES IN PAST YEARS, I HAVE NOT COME ACROSS ONE IN A LONG TIME, I WOULD NOT USE ROLLERS ON ANYTHING THAT I BUILD, BEST BET WOULD BE JUST SOME GOOD OLE FUZI HEAVY DUTY GUIDES OR POSSIBLE USE TURBO GUIDES.
THE BLANK WILL BE GREAT FOR BOTTOM FISHING, IT IS A BIT SHORT BUT SOME GUYS LIKE THEM SHORT, THE VALUE OF THE BLANK BACK WHEN IT WAS AVALIABLE WAS ABOUT $15.00 DOLLARS.
THIS WILL MAKE A GREAT SALT WATER ROD, I COULD USE IT IF YOU WANT TO GET RID OF IT, BUT IF IT WERE ME I WOULD JUST KEEP IT, IF YOU WANT I WILL BUILD IT FOR YOU IF YOU LIKE.
HOPE YOU FIND THIS INFO TO BE OF SOME HELP. IF I CAN BE OF FURTHER HELP PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL ON ME.
STIX
PLEASE VISIT WWW.BILLYSTIX.COM

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the input. I think for the moment I'll stick it back in the closet until we get closer to making a home somewhere on the GoM.
I am curious however about what finished length would be given the 5'3" blank. Couple years ago I found a wood handled TruTemper 5'10" roller top with a pretty clean black sided green handled Penn 4/0 in a divorce driven garage sale in Freeport for $20. The rig has been sitting as a dust catcher in MY garage ever since. It is loaded with what feels like 17# or 20# green Big Game and the the guy threw a small tackle box of a dozen well used kingfish jigs and lures for another $10. Sez he caught the fire out Kings on this rig. I felt sorry for the guy 'cause he looked pretty ripped up about his wife leaving him. I may practice wrapping the rod as the cheap looking single layer thread looks very "tired". Then if it falls apart on me I'll know to keep my rod building talents to the "A" thread freshwater sticks I'm used to.
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts