2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really a broken spirit, guess I got spoiled on my first trip with Aubrey, but I sure was hoping to see my name on the STAR board...LOL... Arrived about 2 pm Sat evening, went to the ramp to look at the water (muddy), Saw Aubrey draggin the Don Coyote down the road and followed him to the travel trailer... Unloaded our stuff and rode with Aubrey to a tournament weigh-in, had a good time meeting some locals and several guides... Went back to the trailer and started rigging our gear for an early start.. I tripped on a tackle box and hit the corner of the picnic table on my left ribs, moped around some and said quite a few choice words, then just shrugged it off and kept on rigging tackle...

Woke next morning to smell of coffee, and Capt Black cookin up tacos... Ribs was hurtin with every move, but I wasn't gonna let the pain spoil my trip...
Splashed the boat around 6 am and had a long ride to the tide gauge bar, the wind was blowin but the water looked decent, after chunkin for 30 min I caught a 14 incher, Joe and I were wading together and laughing about Wendi not gettin out of the boat... Aubrey went back to the boat and talked her into jumpin in and fishin with him.... We moved to another spot after a while that had a soft bottom but gin clear water with lotsa grass, we caught a few fish there in 18" water, I lost 2 nice reds and a trout about 22"... Waded back to the boat to get my hook hone and a cold one, by then my ribs were hurtin purty bad, I stayed close to the boat and managed to loose another red.... Aubrey's dad was grinding away and came back with a few good fish to put in the box.... We pulled anchor and drifted out only to find small slicks popping up, started chunkin and boxed several more trout... A neat thing happened at this point, I made a comment to Aubrey about his Castaway titanium rod that was in the holder, he picked it up, handed it to me and said check it out, I gave it a shake, said nice action and handed it back to Aubrey, he said no, I mean chunk it... I drew back and let the red/white paddle tail fly, made 2 cranks on the reel and BAM, drug in a 17" trout and said VERY GOOD ROD Aubrey, we all laughed our tails off..... We tried another spot with a good line of rocks on the way back then called it a day... I think we had bout 8 fish in the box..... By then my ribs were very sore from all the wading and chunkin...
Got back to the trailer and I started prepairing to cook a great supper, got the pit lit, steaks seasoned, while we all spoke of a fun day.... We consumed a few adult beverages and then sat down for a great supper.... When we awoke this morning, the wind was howling, clouds were dark and low, and my ribs hurt so bad that I could barely breathe without hollerin... Joe and Wendi packed us up, we hit the road early with me laying in the back seat of the truck and Wendi drivin' , I swear, I think Wendi found every bump in the road from Kingsville to Baytown... LOL... Went to see the Doc when I got back and he said I prolly got a rib or two cracked and he fixed me up with vicodin and some stick on numbing patches.....

I really enjoyed fishing with Aubrey and his dad, his dad is a real grinder, I think we all had fun, and I can't wait to do it again.. That is, everything but the rib part... LOL

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
What A Weekend.....

Between my Dad's and SpeckBoys success and the BadHabit Crew showing up for the weekend, its a miracle I'm still here LOL.

After Darrell's little accident, I was praying that this was not a precursor of things to come. We did thoroughly enjoy our little visit and I really have very little to add. Uncle Joe is a heck of a great guy and I hope y'all bring him back with ya if you decide to give Baffin and me another chance.

After y'all left this morning the bottom dropped out of the clouds and it was still raining this afternoon. Looks like a few more days before things get back to normal.

Wendi, you and your co-workers are welcome anytime. As for the "All Girl" thing, if they are like you, I'll have to think about it for a while. Don't know if my heart or head could stand that LOL.

Had a great time and hope your ribs get to feeling better real soon Darrell. Later, Aubrey

·
Old yellow member
2,274 Posts
Sounds like a good/bad trip Darrel

Fishing sounds great, but I feel for you on those cracked ribs. I've had broken ones before and Crcked ones and I can contest to the fact that for some unknown reason the cracked ones hurt worst.

Here's some advice, stay away from any jokes - Laughing is a killer.
Coughing is out of the question
Sneezing is worst then coughing - JUST HOLD IT
Jack Daniels and your Vicodin will be your best friends for a few days. :D

Oh tell the better half a foot rub makes the pain go away.... might work!!

FN

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Bummer!

If you want I can come over an slap ya on the back and give ya a few attaboys for sticking it out! Heal up fast bro!

·
Premium Member
23,848 Posts
Hang in there bro. Ribs are slow to heal, and it's especially true for us big boys. We gots lots more of them to begin with. I busted up a few over the years, along with a shoulder (last time that got x rayed, the doctor came in and wanted to know wth happened), and it ain't no fun for the first few weeks. Long hot showers, lots of cold beverages and your favorite easy chair or couch are the way to go. Get yourself a good heating pad too. Ace bandages are another way to get around at first. The trout goddess will repay you down the road, count on it.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
The trip sounded great except for the wrasseling match with the picnic table. Heck you already caught a trout most of us will only have on in our dreams. Can't expect even Aubrey to put you on one like that every time. Fishnut is right about the laughing, sneezing and coughing. When I broke mine this past Fall, I carried a pillow around with me just in case. If you feel a cough or sneeze coming on, press the pillow tight against your side. It takes the pain from excrusiating to tolerable. Take care of yourself and heal up quick. I need somebody to find those blue barrels for me.

·
" TEXAS TILL I DIE "
26,234 Posts
slow to heal fer us big boys are old boys( lol) my vicodin say alcohol may intensify the effect , works for me!

·
Malt Beverage Diety
1,385 Posts
Darrell

I hope you are getting some relief, busted ribs aint no fun. Hope you had a good time on the water, does I need to bring ya some barbeque?

·
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks folks

For the well wishes, I had a horse wreck 3 yrs ago on my Bday and broke three ribs and cracked my pelvic bone, 11 days in the hospital and 30 days off work...
I know the next week will be rough, but, don't let that keep ya from calling me iffin ya need a fishin pardner, I'll dang sure go... LOL

A pic of Wendi and Uncle Joe kikkin back

Wendi and Aubrey in tha shade

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Darrell,

Looks like you'll be needing a whole lot of beach rest this weekend! LOL!

Sorry to hear of your squabble with the pic-nic table! Hope you're feeling better in a few days.

So Wendy how did you like the wade fishing? Are you ready to do it again soon?

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,236 Posts
About the wade fishing, I didn't like it. I was too worried about looking where I was stepping and what might bite me than looking out seeing all the redfish boiling around. Why should I get out of a perfectly good boat? I was assured that nothing would bite/sting me, but I think if I had some good waders and those sting-ray boots... my fear that's inside my head would go away and would try it again.
I had an awesome time and will go again....hopefully when the wind ain't blowing quite so hard.
And Aubrey, I don't think you could handle a weekend of three female cops....
"Lord, I apologize....lol"

·
Unrecoverable Saltoholic
472 Posts
Ya see, what really happened is you talked too much smack before the trip and the fishing gods spanked your *** with it. Now post up that pic of the last trout you caught with Aub and repeat three times.....

There's no place like Baffin....

:p

Glad you didn't seriously hurt yourself, and better luck next time....

Tsip

·
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LMAO @ Tsip....

There's no place like Baffin....There's no place like Baffin....There's no place like Baffin....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts