2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing an average of every other week for 60 years and have only broken 2 rods. One because I was stupid and slammed it in a car door, the other because I left it laying on the floor and it got stepped on. I wonder how much extra we pay to cover the cost of careless people who dont take care of their equipment and want to get a free replacement under warranty. They dont warranty your car, boat,motor, ect. against carelessness. Why should we pay for someone elses carelessness. Not really a rant, just a question for some serious thought. Whats your take??

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Rods built back in those days were much different from today as you are aware. I still have a Glass rod given to me when I was 10, but have broken many new Graphite rods. Anything from trying to horse a fish in the boat with a net and snapping the tip, to as you said, slammed car doors on them. Warranty is a good thing, but there are those who run over them with lawnmowers, leave in the rear of their trucks and get smashed by coolers, spare boat batteries and such, and then expect the manufacturer to replace them because the buyer was careless in the first place. A limited warranty is a good thing but......

·
Registered
564 Posts
I still have an old fiberglass baitcaster that I wouldn't trade for anything.
Graphite is all about sensitivity and light weight, well, the weight difference is a non-factor in my opinion, and the sensitivity only helps if you are soaking a bait or fishing a plastic on the bottom. That is a non-factor to me also, because I was taught to fish with my left thumb on top of the line, you feel the line much easier than the rod.
I had a 2-piece ugly stick break in half on a white bass below livingston dam.
I had an ultra-light break when the tip got caught under a swivel seat (my fault). Graphite isn't tougher, and they offer guarentees knowing that even with rod replacements they will still be making money, so take them up on it if you can. I miss the old quality fiberglass poles myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts