2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on cooking a briskett on the charcoal grill (I just got a new large one) and have never done it before. I was wondering how you guys flip them. They seem a little large for even long tongs. Are there heat proof gloves or what works the best? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
You don't flip them - Keep it fat side UP and leave it alone. Be sure to toss in a mesquite chip from time to time and for a really good flavor, toss in a little pecan and hickory with the mesquite..

Since this is your first, maintain the temp around 225-250. Cook for at least 12 hours, but I suggest to cook it about 6-8 hours on the grill (indirect heat) and then transfer to a foil covered pan and cook at 210 for another 6-8 hours or longer if you chose. The longer you hold it at 210, the more tender it will get. Obviously a large brisket will require a little more time than a small one. ;)

It will melt in your mouth, I guarantee it!

Good luck!

G

·
ReelWork said:
You don't flip them - Keep it fat side UP and leave it alone. Be sure to toss in a mesquite chip from time to time and for a really good flavor, toss in a little pecan and hickory with the mesquite..

Since this is your first, maintain the temp around 225-250. Cook for at least 12 hours, but I suggest to cook it about 6-8 hours on the grill (indirect heat) and then transfer to a foil covered pan and cook at 210 for another 6-8 hours or longer if you chose. The longer you hold it at 210, the more tender it will get. Obviously a large brisket will require a little more time than a small one. ;)

It will melt in your mouth, I guarantee it!

Good luck!
O.K. ~ So how does he transfer it? :D

:rybka:

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
When you transfer at that time, the meat is still pretty firm. Just use some gloves or some heavy duty grill forks. If there isn't anything "heavy duty" take a flat cookie sheet (or cutting board) and slide the brisket on to it, then take inside and transfer the brisket from the cookie sheet to the pan, cover with foil and slap it in the oven...

FAT SIDE UP!!! ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Get yourself a pair of welding gloves, they are cheap and do the job. Try not to use a fork if you do not have to.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I thought the gloves might work, but thought I'd have to flip it. I do have pecan wood saved up!

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Good luck...

And did I mention FAT SIDE UP!

Also, I don't think is was really clarified, be sure to leave the brisket alone - in other words, don't go checking it every 20 minutes. If you get the temperature set right, as soon as you open the lid to check, all your heat is gone and will need to stabilize again, the fire gets a little hotter with the fresh supply of air, the brisket can prematurely blacken as a result.

So Fat side up and leave it alone. Take a pic, let us know how it turns out.... :D

Here's one o' mine to wet your appetite.

Attachments

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
If done right they look like this!!!!!

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
That looks absolutely disgusting... If you make another one like, DON'T EAT IT! Package it up and send it my way so I have it disposed of properly...

·
Registered
605 Posts
FYI, I found the best place to buy briskets is at SAM'S. They are a little more than others but the cuts are the best in my opinion.

Where do you guys buy your wood for the smoker?

·
Back in da Saddle
10,159 Posts
Rog said:
FYI, I found the best place to buy briskets is at SAM'S. They are a little more than others but the cuts are the best in my opinion.

Where do you guys buy your wood for the smoker?
Agreeed Sams is good purchase point...
On the wood I'm a Pecan and Oak guy I might use a piece of Mesi about the size of a fist for a 12 hour smoke!!!
Leaves a nasty Bitter taste to me!!!

But I buy at the Local Krogers here or B&B woods on Jones across from the ACE hardware!!!!

John

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Sams has Silicone gloves that work real well and are easy to clean up. Also, I agree with the comment on Mesquite leaving a bitter taste - I think it's better suited to grilling. When you transfer to aluminum pan you can finish cooking in the oven - easier to maintain temp and doesn't affect the flavor but be sure to add some water or beer (or both) to maintain moistness.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Again, thanks! My husband and his brother trimmed our pecan trees at our weekend house in Matagorda, and of course, we saved the wood. If I add Mesquite, I'll just put in a little. FYI, Academy had several different kinds of wood chips when I was there last week and it was cheap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts