2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Mirrolure Pro Staff
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a brisket for christmas for a long time now but the wife wants to do a big pot of shrimp gumbo.Which should I do?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Do a big *** thing of gumbo and freeze it for Christmas, then concentrate on that brisket too. I made some shrimp, oyster, crab, sausage (seafood) gumbo 3 weeks ago, ate a lil then froze it, and it was better tonight than it was then.

·
Professional Salesman
9,758 Posts
How many folks you feeding?

If it is a big bunch, I get lots of salad and bread sticks from Olive Garden and lay down 2-3 nice soups, gumbos, and chili.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
Hard decision to make there. I think I would just do both.

For my advice, do I get some leftovers?
:cheers:

·
Registered Somewhere
5,635 Posts
Our family does cajun on Chistmas Eve. Not just gumbo. Then Turkey and ham with all the fixings on Chirstmas Day. Busy two days for the cooks. Good thing for me is Our is actually my sister and BIL I help on the cajun part with BIL. Sis does most of Christmas.

So I vote both Gumbo and Brisket. Either keeps very well.

·
I'm a millionaire in a .02 opinion world
2,569 Posts
Both. What's the address? BTW, I likes my shrimps on the small side. B&P

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
X3 on both...Put your brisket on the pit about 3pm the evening before. Season & smoke it for about 5 hours on low heat. Wrap in foil (fat side up) & place in large aluninum pan & leave in oven overnight on lowest temp setting (mine will go down to 170). Turn oven off when you get up & let cool in oven till lunch time (You will have to let it cool pretty good as it will be so tender it will disentegtate when slicing - electric knife recommended). This way, you don't have to get up at 4am to start your pit on Christmas day & you will have all morning to prepare your gumbo. Any leftovers will freeze well & be just as good (if not better) the 2nd time around.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
Everyone always look at me like I;m crazy when I put boiled eggs in my gumbo, until they eat one!! Good looking Gumbo!
Never tried it. Gotta say it does look appealing though. Boiled eggs are good. I save all my pickle juice and drop 5 or 6 in it. Let them sit for a day or three, and I always have the bed to myself! :rotfl:

·
slap ya mama
1,919 Posts
EGGS

rule of thumb,,,1 egg for each person....got this idea from some cajun friends in sw louisiana,,,enjoy....

boil eggs and peel and then put into gumbo about an hour before serving,,,,to soak up the flavor.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts