2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to check on my Aunts house just 10 minutes from my house and she lives in Bridge City. Bridge City is a little town of guessing 10,000 - 15,000 people. It was reported yesterday that there are 10 reported homes in the city that didn't get water from the Ike Tidal Surge inside. My aunt got aproximately 8 foot of water in hers. I can't imagine. I took a few photos to show you all how devistating a Tidal surge can cause to an area. I only took a few because of the people working on their homes and I just coudn't make myself take pictures of these people as I was hurting for them too bad. The photos in second post are within a few hundred feet from each other in my aunts neigborhood. All within a few houses from hers. Coudn't get a good one of hers due to the large dumpster in front yard with her life belongings in it and to the side of it. Every house I went by, had their belongings in front yard destroyed. These were not scenes for an isolated area, the whole city is in the same condition. The first ones here are in another area of my aunt and second post are all within my Aunts neighbors.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Sorry to see that but I'm glad she is at least physically ok herself. I think we will be a long time getting over this one. I know I have not wanted to go out taking pictures either. It's been hard enough just seeing the media's coverage.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
They built the 17-foot seawall around nearby Port Arthur when I was a kid
there, cutting off the view from our backyard of the ICW in 1970. (Hurricane Carla had put the fear in P.A. back in 1962). That seawall blocked our view, crabbing and fishing for 38 years---then it saved PA, Port Neches, Groves and Nederland from Hurricane Ike. Outside the seawall were Sabine Pass, Bridge City, Orange and LaBelle---and all were flooded. It would have happened with Rita too, but that storm blew all the water out of Sabine Lake, flooding Sabine Pass. It all depends on where the storm makes landfall, whether the water rises or drops. They said Ike came within two feet of breaching the Port Arthur seawall.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I understand, the seewall is 14 foot and yes, it came less than 2 foot from going over and flooding most of Por Arthur. The original estimates for storm surge was 16 - 24 foot surge and the seewall would have been breeched. Thanks to Jack Brooks (retired congressman) for the foresight in this project.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts