2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a very pleasant afternoon at Bridge bait yesterday, in some good TTMB company. They claim it to have been the busiest day of the year, to date. The overflow from the parking lot was the biggest I have ever seen.

The management have obviously taken to heart some of the comments raised here over the last couple of weeks. All the guide services came in, dropped clients and fish and either trailered their boats or parked them elsewhere. I did not see anyone have to wait for dockspace. I didn't see how it was in the parking lot, but it must have been difficult given the number of trailers.

I saw a lot of fish landed; some very nice ling and kings. Many snapper limits but only a few fish above 20 inches. One guide had a six man limit of snapper that didn't exceed 17 inches.

Saw a family come in, ina nice walkaround, with an injured Dad. He had a 4/0 J hook very deeply embedded in his wrist. He initially chose not to go to the ER and tried to push the hook through the tendons. Using ice water as an anesthetic and assisted by Carlos the fish cleaner they struggled for about 30 minutes to clear the hook by pushing, pulling and finally cutting. The family eventually adjourned to the hospital when he couldn't take the pain and blood flow any longer. This chap must be one of the 'toughest dudes' I have seen for a long time.

This caused me to review the medical section of my tackle box. That half empty bottle of iodine and 3 year old box of bandaids might need updating! If I can get one of the ER docs to teach an offshore emergency first aid class, would anyone be interested?

steve

·
NRA LIFER
3,210 Posts
Offshore forst aid.......

I would be interested in attending that. Your comment made me realize I need to look over all my first aid supplies............

Post up if you can make it happen and thanks for thinking of it.

Bob

·
Registered
663 Posts
Steve's right!

That hook in that guys hand looked huge! I was also surprised to see them trying to remove it at the dock! He sure was composed through out the entire ordeal! I've had two removed and believe me, it is not fun!

One thing Steve didn't mention was that there was a grading committee at the launch. Basically they are scoring everyone on a scale from 1 to 10 on their ramping abilities and oh yes, if you cut someone off at the ramp you loose points! Guess you guys best be on your best behavior on those ramps from here on in! It was fun though.

BTW, Steve, did your daught get that phone call?

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
A couple of years ago I went on a charter with a group of dentists. They each carried on a black bag. Each bag contained enough stuff to perform minor surgery at sea!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I need to update too! Depending on time and date, I would attend. The grading was a blast. We actually got a 9 with the 28 Grady!

·
Registered
410 Posts
First Aid

That would be a good class to take. I would be interested but it will be difficult for me to work it out being in Ft. Worth.

We got a 9 from the grading committee at the ramp. Did anyone get a 10?
Saw the Dolphin Hunter pulling in behind us and wanted to come out and say Hi. Didnt have any place to lock up the rods while we came up to say hi.

SDS

·
Registered
68 Posts
First Aid

I keep a good supply of antibotics, tape, and gaze handy as well as some Lidocaine I get from some friends in the medical field. (the numbing stuff the dentist uses - much easier to remove a hook when the area is numb) Nice to keep a scalpel as well. If you cannot push the hook through or get to the bard you can supply some good tension to get the bard up against the skin and make a tiny cut that will release it. Lube it up with neosporen and back to fishing!

Andy

·
Registered
410 Posts
Legs

Kim,

Since my legs are still glow white, I am sure the grading commitee didnt want to see any more than they had to. We have our routine down and try to be quick about getting out of the way. Would have been easy to miss if you were trying to get the waitress' attention for another beer... : )

Sure wish we had been able to lock up the rods and come up for a beer. Maybe next time.

Did you make it out fishing on Sat.? Or were you at BB just for the afternoon entertainment?

Scott

·
Registered
663 Posts
Scott, I was judging the boat launch!

LOL! Well, they did let me help them once, does that count? No we didn't go out. My son was in town visiting all week and by the time Gunner told me the seas had laid down (Friday night) it was to late to plan a trip. Besides, Ed somehow crinked his neck and couldn't move so I guess that was a blessing in itself for him. He was in alot of pain but did have some good drugs! I don't think he would have been to thrilled if I had insisted in dragging him out to fish!

Gunner and his buddies went out early Saturday morning so Ed, I and Reg (Mark's girlfriend) decided to drive down and just take in the sights on the dock. It was alot of fun for a change! Getting to experience the fishing fevor but not having to clean fish, boat and gear was definately a trip in itself!

Are we still going to see you in POC?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Poc

I hope Ed gets to feeling better soon. (Not drug induced...)

We are still planning to make it to POC as long as work cooperates.
Hope to see you there.

Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts