2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i guess i'm finally going to invest to keep some saltwater bacteria off as much of me as possible. what's the best for the best price?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i already have 2 pair of neoprenes. have you worn the cheaper ones? or just checked them out?

j - do the white rivers come with any type of warranty?

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
Yeah, I broke the plastic snap on one of the shouler straps and it was about a year after I bought them. I had my receipt still and took it back. They exchanged them out. Dont know about now since I have a rip repaired on them and they are about 4 years old. LOL Still no leaks.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hodgeman

The Hodgeman Wadelite II waders are well worth the money. I've used them 3 years with one minor leak that I fixed with no problem. They have nice features (pockets, draw strings, etc), and are very comfortable. I even wear them in the winter with long-johns underneath, and they're plenty warm.

·
21,162 Posts
Yep, I wear mine year round as well. Tighty whities in the summer :) , warm ups, long johns, etc. in the winter. There is a pocket on the inside chest for things. Have had many jigheads and plastics in it and never had a problem.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info. looks like i'm heading out to bass pro tomorrow and will try them out on my early, early, early wade on sunday morning at xmas

·
Registered
511 Posts
Breathables

Academy carries the Hodgeman Streamlite breathables and I have had good success with them for about 2 years now... I will never wear Neoprene again. Layer up in the winter and it is just fine... BTW- the Streamlites are $69 not bad for a pair of breathables

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,956 Posts
Was wondering if anyone wore breathable in the summer ? Looks like it might become the norm. I have the White River's (3 years now) and no problems except the stocking foot is neoprene and way oversized. I may have to look for some newer ones with out a neoprene footie, or at lease one that fits. After a while my feet get sore with all the extra foam stuffed into the wading boot. Thought about modifying the ones I have, but pretty sure I'd just ruin them so I never have.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
bacteria

I wouldn't worry about that bacteria unless you have recently been ill or have liver or immune system problems. Looks like every guy that got it was either a heavy drinker, just been ill with flu or something major, or had liver problems (one guy even had a liver transplant). The bacteria won't just attack you for no reason. It's the bacteria that breaks down dead things in the water, so if you get it, you have some major bodily problems in the first place.

Now, as for wading in the summer with breatheables, they work fine, but you must wash the inside of the booties real good and let them dry, or they'll get really stinky from the sweat. I have started to wear socks inside mine, and it helps out a bunch on the sweaty mess. Keeps your feet dry, too.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what would you classify as a "heavy drinker?" my doctor told me 4 six packs a week was an alcoholic. i didn't ask about 4 six packs in a weekend. but seriously what constitutes a heavy drinker?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm no expert

That's probably based on opinion, b/c some people handle it better than others, but eventually your liver will tell you.

I usually have anywhere from 1 to 6 beers per day, but probably average only 1 or 2 per day. I like a glass of red wine with my meals, too, instead of beer sometimes. IMHO, if you average 3 or 4 drinks per evening, that's too much, based on liver damage. I'm not against getting a buzz at all.

·
Site Sponsor 2006>
390 Posts
I am not a heavy drinker and I am very healthy and picked up this bacteria in my toe on Sunday in Port A. I went to the doctor on Monday because my toe was so swollen and red and they said I had cellulitis, it got worse on Tuesday and I went to Victoria to the Dr. and they said we will treat it like it is the bacteria from The Gulf and it seems to be getting better by the day. I am just writing this to say that you can get it without heavy drinking or any of the other things.

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,956 Posts
What other reason is there..

Nasakid, you sound like you ware breathables in the summer, but not out of any concern about Vibrio. Are there other bennifits that are being overlooked ? I figure if I had a pair with boots on them, I would just dawn and ditch em when I needed. Don't think I could stand to were them all the time in the heat of the day.

·
21,162 Posts
No jellyfish stings. Wade through bank grass and sticks without worrying about scratching or rubbing your bare legs. Sinking in mud not all over you. Other various uses.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i used to rib my buddy and tell him not to put on his panties(breathables) and wade "like a man." but i guess i may join his ranks. still haven't decided. it sure is more confortable sans waders in the summertime. i'll just wade with a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
No

I don't ever wear them once the water reaches 75 degrees or more. I wear scrub pants, tho, usually. I don't like jellyfish, so the pants and waders help.

I also sometimes wade real deep (I'm 6'5"), and waders limit how deep you can go without filling them up.

I mainly use mine in the late Fall, Winter, and early Spring when the water is 70-50 degrees. I also use them for duck and goose hunting. They work great.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
I boguht some LLBean Streamlights for $50 from Beans web site and a pair of G-Loomis wading boots for 34$ at Roy's. I wear them when I dont want to get the salt all over me or I need to pack a few extra items in the pockets. I uaually wear then cottom tights under them. but Under Armour could be a good thing to wear underneath to...

InfamousJ,,,, tighty whities? how do you survive when the rubbery inside pulls on your leg ahirs? ouch!!!.......JJ

1 - 19 of 19 Posts