2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure my 10 YO female Lab has breast cancer. Going to take her to the vet in the morning, but just wondering what to expect. Has anybody dealt with this? Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Native Texan
10,978 Posts
Not good if she has cancer. Can do the very expensive treatments with somewhat limited success. Good luck. Sorry to hear about your friend.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lost One of mine (Ursa Major) to ov cancer several years ago. The Vet was a real idiot though. He's no longer in biz in Alvin, thank God. He wanted 1200 just to do a biop and first treatment. He said it would not be worth it considering her age (9) so he was not wanting to do it even if I had the money. Good luck with your's I hope things go for the best.

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
Some Cancers can be treated fairly easy & some are so DANG agressive they spread with just a look..
Whatever you do..get a 2nd opinion as to whats goin on..
if We question anything we would opt for a 2nd opinion..Just like we would do for ourselves..
Good luck
Oxx..

Reactions: RAYSOR

·
Fun Ain't Cheap
3,423 Posts
Some Cancers can be treated fairly easy & some are so DANG agressive they spread with just a look..
Whatever you do..get a 2nd opinion as to whats goin on..
if We question anything we would opt for a 2nd opinion..Just like we would do for ourselves..
Good luck
Oxx..
Great info!

·
Registered
55 Posts
bone cancer

Lost my female 12yo Lab "Julep" to bone cancer a few weeks ago. I'd be happy to share my experience with you. Just send me a PM

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got back from the vet's office - she is 99% sure it is breast cancer, but it has been her experience that with surgery, my girl will be ok. She is almost 11 years old, but still pretty darn active, so I will spend the $600 for the surgery.

·
Maker of laser engraved switch panels
3,766 Posts
I wish you the best of luck. I lost my first lab years ago to cancer, sadly, we did not know she was sick. It all happened in about 3-4 weeks time. Only found out after the fact, because we asked the vet to find out why.

I fear that I might be there again with my 12.5 year old lab. She has shed a lot of weight in a rather short time. Took her to the vets and she has liver enzymes about 6 times normal. We're trying several medicines, but it is not looking too good, but we're hoping for the best.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will never let another female dog go un-spayed -That's what causes this in the females, plus they live so much longer if you get them fixed before they ever come into heat. My Brittany lived to be 16 years old and hunted for 15 of them.

·
3,926 Posts
Unfortunately your right..
Animals that are fixed live a Longer life..
We see this all to often.. While I was mending from my wreck,My Wife took my Lab in & fixed her much to my Unpleasant attitude for doing so..
I know she was right & I was being selfish..
if Your not gonna breed to better the (Breed)..fix them now & enjoy the xtra time you have with your pet..The time we have with them is short enough..any xtra is a blessing.
Oxx..

·
3,926 Posts
Unfortunately your right..
Animals that are fixed live a Longer life..
We see this all to often.. While I was mending from my wreck,My Wife took my Lab in & fixed her much to my Unpleasant attitude for doing so..
I know she was right & I was being selfish..
if Your not gonna breed to better the (Breed)..fix them now & enjoy the xtra time you have with your pet..The time we have with them is short enough..any xtra is a blessing.;)
Oxx..

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Annie just got out of surgery. The vet said it may have just been a fatty tumor in her breast. Won't know for sure until after the biopsy, but she is doing great! The vet said she didnt see any other problems that may arise, so hopefully we will get to enjoy her for a few more years! For an almost 11 year old Lab, she still acts like a pup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts