2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ShallowSport - 24 Mod V
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in another braid thread, but realized it may hijack somewhat so I'm posting new...

I have been using PP 30lb, but have had problems with it diggin in. As such, here is an inquiry. If you spool your reel with it very tight (as all say to mitigate this problem), and then start casting and using it, don't you lose the benefit of spooling it so tight? As a result of this technique, I have the line closest to the spool on tight, but then about 80 yds (+/-) that is on normally. You can't hold the line very tight when you reel in because holding the line with your fingers will cause horrific cuts.

So, what is the solution? I don't see how spooling tight matters other than on that first cast? And, I'm not wearing a kevlar glove to hold the line when I retrieve. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good question

Your question is valid here and does make sense - I agree with the thinking that after your first cast, your spool "tightness" is basically gone - other than the core of the line closer to the spool. I have used braid for the last 5-6 years - that is all that use on all of my baitcasting reels. I do spool it on as tight as possible. My main suggestion here is to just really watch your first cast after reeling in a fish, getting unhooked on the bottom, or anything else that causes tightness in your line. If you have some of the line that has dug into the spool some, if you just make sure that you don't really wing it out there hard on your next cast you should be all right. That first cast will not be the best on distance but at least it will give your line a chance to release some - allowing you to really wing it out there on the next one - taking advantage of one of the strengths of braid in my opinion. This comes sort of automatic to me now but of course I still get a small backlash every now and then just forgetting to do this.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have never tried braided line so someone set me straight. I do today and have always used mono for both line and leader. In my life there is probably 4 good fish that I have lost due to line breakage or what I think was a line related issue. I wadefish almost exclusively and am a minimalist, and all of this talk about MONO BACKING/COMPRESSION TAPE/DIGGIN' IN/SPOOL TIGHTNESS sounds like a mess to me. Is it worth the hassel?

·
Registered
108 Posts
You should give it a try

Of course we all tend to overcomplicate things at times - if you have not tried braid - give it a shot and see if you like it. Most of the feedback I get from people is that they either really like it or really hate it.

Keeping it simple - the main benefit I see from braid is sensitivity - you will really feel the bite a whole lot better with the braid. Another one - working your lure is so much easier since you have no stretch to worry about like with mono. One more for me - I can really cast well with this stuff.

Definitely give it a shot some time - and try not to worry about all of the details too.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I really like the Powerpro 8lb size. I can cast a small spoon very far with it, even into the wind. Just my opinion though.
Tom

·
Registered
361 Posts
If your reel does not have a level wind you should move your line across the spool quickly a couple of times every 15 or 20 cranks on the retrive. That will cause the incomming line not to be able to bury.
Thanks, John

·
Banned
186 Posts
about every 100 or so cast just cast it out as far as you can let your bait sink and then put about a foot of the rod tip in the water and reel the line in fast this wil pack it on tight as you need for about another 100-150 cast. The mono backing is used to make sure that the line first does not silp on the spool and second on reels that hold alot of line like a shimano in the 200 size that you are able to fill the reel with line. Shimano calls for the reels to be filled within 1/8 of the lip of the spool. Smaller reel 100s and 50s you can run the line through the spool if you have a drilled spool and the just pack the line on tight. Braid takes some getting use to but when you feel that smallest little nibble you will understand why people use it. Also if you are a braid rookie put 4 brakes on roll the cast control nob forward a little more than usual and go from there you will be glad you did.

Matt

·
ShallowSport - 24 Mod V
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone!
I do like the PP a lot. As many have mentioned, the sensitivity is amazing. When working an artificial, you can really tell instantly when you have a pull, as in hook stuck on something, and a bite. I can cast this stuff a mile too. The only problem or negative has been the dig-ins. I do tape the spool and use mono backing. Anyway, I will try some of these remedies and see if they work.
Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts