2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Abu 7000 that i use for offshore fishing. I usually spool up with 30 pound mono but the line capacity isn't great. I was wondering if anyone uses Braid offshore and what pound test they use. Also are there any pros and cons to using it?

·
Back in da Saddle
10,160 Posts
You will get faster answers using Braid as a key word in the Search function ...Braid is widely used and often written about...

John

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
65lbs power pro i think its the size of 12lbs mono would not go below 50lbs it gets thin and might cut a grove in your eyes use it on my jiging and casting rods

·
Banned
166 Posts
If targeting larger or potentially larger fish, I recommend staying away from the Top Shot deal. Go with braid and either use a clip / leader system, or a swivel between the two. The knot to knot connections with smaller braid are not that reliable if a larger fish is hooked up and you are applying some pressure. Too many big fish lost when the knot of both lines clears the last eye on the rod...Top Shots are no longer fishing my boat. Leaders can be 25'... Use a swivel to join the two lines if fishing lighter line...Clips if fishing the larger stuff.

Just my opinion. Heard the "POW" of the line a few times this past weekend and three times last year, everytime where the two lines meet (except for the one time the big rig donkey wrapped me in the legs and I fought the rig for a 1/2 hour!)... not happening again.

·
Banned
45 Posts
I have braid on EVERY one of my reels, from trout to blue marlin. For your purposes learn to tie a bimini twist in the braid, the learn a albright. Use the braid to join to tie the albright to the mono. The braid wrapped around the mono I mean. Use two people to tighten the knot starting out to make sure it is TIGHT. On my 6500 I have 50lb porer pro to between 20 and 40lb mono or flouro. Use as much braid as you can get on there, then put a short top-shor of either. Then it is easy to vary line sizes as well as replace line. Very economical in the long run. It last forever in comparison to mono, as well as being much more hydrodynamic.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Braid is good but there are some knots that will hold a top shot. I've allways used a albright with a drop of super glue. It's never failed me even with a 8' golden hammer head. That's just me though....

DRAGNHOO, what sort of knot where you using for your topshot?

·
Academy Sports & Outdoors Manager
1,249 Posts
If you are going to fish in 300' or less you can pick up some OTI jigging line which has 4 colors that change every 25'. This lets you drop to within 25' of where the fish are showing on the depth finder. You can fill the reel 2/3's of the way with mono and tie a reverse albright. I have NEVER had a "properly cinched down" reverse albright fail. You can pick up a 100 yard spool of the PE 6 jigging line which is 60lb from www.GrandadsFishingTackle.com for about $29.

We also have the jigging line in 80lb and 120lb for $31 and $35 respectively. For those who are going deeper you can get up to 1200 yards continous spool.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Thats exactly what I use braid for: more capacity. I like fishing mono, but need more line on my reels. So I figure out what line test I want to use on the reel for mono, then go a size higher in braid. I put 150 or 300yds (depending on what reel) of braid, and then top with mono. I do a reverse albright, or worm knot, and have had zero failures.

For the ABU 7000, if you fish it with 30# mono, I would get a 150yds spool of 40# braid, put it on the reel (make sure you put some electrical tape on the spool so the braid does not spin), do a worm knot to 30# mono, and then fill the reel to capacity with the mono.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts