2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some are just getting into bow hunting so here is a little tip. I read and have made the shot and missed because of it when setting your stand up to yyour feeder or game trail try to make sure your shot is either under 15yards or over 25. This is the zone the deer hears and reacts to the shoot. It will get into launch mode in this area where it squats and darts out.under this he hasn't heard it yet over this it has already made the move. At least it has happened to me and then I read it in a mag. after the fact. eeerrrr! anyone else here this or is this just myth and my bad shoot.lol Come on guys, lets work on some tips here.

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,317 Posts
I've heard of deer "jumping the string"...

From what I've have read and heard is that there are many factors that contribute their reaction.

Wind; if you are up high the deer may not catch your sent but sound still travels quicker in the wind.

Sight; is the deer already suspicious to your presense?

Equipment; Is there any part of your bow that is sending a spoiler sound as the arrow is taking flight. I've heard certain rests that sound light a .22 going off. Take advantage of the technology that's out there and get the string silencers, limb savers, and stabilizers that will help get rid of the vibration that translates into sound.

My $.02 for today...

·
"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"
3,483 Posts
Most of my shots at deer have been between 10-20 yards and so far (knocking on wood!) havent had one "jump the string".
I do wax my arrows to avoid the errant "squeak" when drawing back, I spooked a nice buck by that squeak one time.
Another thing to consider is drawing back while deer are completely relaxed (eating, looking the other way) I wont try to shoot at one while they look even remotely tensed up.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
One thing I try to do is shoot when the deer is taking a step forward(relaxed deer) When the deer moves the front leg closest to you forward it opens up the vital area, with the leg back, the shoulder blade is over most of the vital area. I try to shoot while the deer is in motion, thus the deer is already concentrating on finishing his movement before he can react. Only had a problem with this once. Last year, a doe was slowly walking past and when I shot she lunged forward and I ended up with a gut shot. We looked for 4 hrs and never found her, rancher did later that week. However the bow did make a little noise and I didn't get to practice that much last year. Bad combination all the way around.

·
bait chunker n fish yanker
71 Posts
I had a deer jump the string also at 20 yds... He was staring right at me as I was at full draw. I thought and figured he was too close to jump the string and when I released, it just so happened he placed the back of his head right where I was aiming at the chest on his drop and I ended up with a perfect head shot that dropped him in its tracks! My very first deer, all luck, and proud of it!

I shot a few deer after that one, One was at 50 yds, and the other about 40 yds, neither one knew the arrow was coming. One had a heart/lung shot and jumped on the hit, looked around, and went back to feeding until it wallow over. never knew it was hit.

The deer supposedly drop a full body length when getting ready to bolt. So you could compensate and aim low, but with my luck, the deer wont budge and the arrow will sail right under.

·
Registered
106 Posts
a couple tips.
-use the wind in your advantage to hide the noise of drawing back.
-sprinkle a little corn behind cactus, rocks, etc so you can draw back when there is somthing between you and their head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts