2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, heres a quick run down of my situation... I grew up fishing on 1968 Boston Whaler Montauk 17. About 7 years ago, my dad sold it. The guy never came to pick it up, but asked if he could store it on our lot. Well the new boat had to go inside so the Whaler went outside and has been there ever since. Well, I will be graduating college soon and am going to need a boat of my own and something to sink some extra time into other than school work. The few times I see this boat a year its very depressing to see it just rotting away. I would love to restore but am worried that it may be too far gone. The cost of storage is worth more than the boat so I am not worried about getting the boat back. The question that I have is how far is too far for restoring a boat? What should I look for as far as structural damage? I understand that this is probably the most broad question ever asked on 2cool without pictures but I was just hoping to get some insight on this. I can post pictures when I get home for Christmas but until then, anyone have any information? Also, should I restore or should I look into a shop doing the work?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Probably would be both....YOu do some work and let Joe Orlando do the rest. I feel your pain! I have a 1979 23' Revenge sitting on the side of the beach house with a blown engine. It made it through IKE without a scratch! Shame to see it sitting there but I do not have the $ or time to put into it now!

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I remember the transom is in good shape, thanks for the info. I tell you, a fully restored Whaler with that vibrant seafoam green floor and a shiny teak center console gives me chills!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts