2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left Tiki at 11am, stopped for a lttle action at 180', where we caught 3 groupers and 1 AJ, plus our bait. At 6:45 pm we hooked up something bigger than usual. We had 4 guys take turns with harness on this fish. Reel was a tierra 30. Finally Andy(Dunc)got this bad YF in the boat. This YF still had a lot of energy after the fight, because once in the boat, this guy knocks 1 bucket and 1 belt overboard, and crew scrambling everywhere. At first we estimated 150 lbs, but I think now 125-130.
We caught a few BFT and started our chum line, and caught a smaller YFT. Once they started feeding again we used poppers on spinning reels. Brandon brought in a 77-78lb. YF(we weighted it, scales only go to 100). Then we hooked and landed another in 40class.
At dawn we start trolling, now the captain finally lands a YF(mid 40's), which we released, because we have enough fish and our 400lbs of ice is low. We land 2 dolphins(5-7lb and 1-20+lb which we release).
We had a billfish come into spread, but never hooked him. We headed straight back w/o stopping at our favorite snapper hole. Maybe one of the crew will post up a picture and one of the experts can help on the weight of the YF.
Seas were 2-4', with no rain, and had a very nice and cooperative tired crew(I read a little on another post about crew/captain problems, my suggestion is know a little about your folks first. I have taken crew from here w/o even a hint of problems).

·
Back in da Saddle
10,160 Posts
Great report BP !!!

I'll assist with the pictures!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
a little bit more the story

we left at 12:00pm and made it out to a rig in 180" and caught 4 grouper and 3 AJ's .....then went to boomvang made it there around 6:30 and started bump trolling with live bait not more than 30 mins a large tuna suck down a greenie....after about 2 hours and 20 mins we finally land this beast and after reviewing the pictures that tuna weighted somewhere around or real close to if not a little more than 150 Lbs... we then started to diamond jigging to get some chum up ....5 or 6 bF later start chumming made 3 chum lines with only one hit.... so me and my brother start to bump troll some live baits with no hits....at about 2:00 am the top water bite turned on....we landed several Yellowfin with my brother landing the largest going 75lbs the rest were around 30-50 lbs....on a funny note i did managed to gaff a 45lb yf and see him swim off with my gaff.....so after a nice swan dive into the water I came up with a nice 6' aftco gaff...at about 5:30 my brother and me are wiped out we don't have the courage to throw the popper anymore.....so we start trolling we get 3 lines out and i am drifting the fourth back and wham-o a nice YF hit .....by now i am getting sick of yellowfin...so we move away from the rig and we caught two nice dolphin and we also had a smaller billfish some into the spread..... it hit three trolling baits but never hooked up.... at about 8:30 it is time to head in due to motor problems we made it back around noon.... the new boat rides like a dream but we do have some small problems to work out..... i will post the pics later so you can judge the weight yourself

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
140-150 depending on what he ate for breakfast. NICE way to break in that 36 Yellowfin, with a whole lot of yellowfin blood. That's what I call a proper christening.

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
Nice boat better yet real nice tuna wtg crew! Dunc, did you tip the captain...hehehe.

BP, I'm glad it worked out getting the boat over here after the post on tht. Did you have to pay for move or did Wiley own up?

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
By the way, I wouldn't be diving in the water out there after a 70 dollar gaff. We had about a 12 foot mako around the boat last fall at boomvang that swallowed an 80 lb yft whole, then hung around the boat for 45 minutes eyeing me and my crew, wondering if we were skinny tuna. Bring three gaffs next time, and if one goes, chalk it up to a donation to the fish gods.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,160 Posts
Bp you cannot tell them kids nothing can you !!!

John

·
Back in da Saddle
10,160 Posts
any takers looking for lunch tomorrow (friday)

Cadaiilc off shepard and I-10..
11:30

you coming tom...???

John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts