2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let Tiki @ 9am Saturday with 4 crew(Evan, Brandon,Ric, Bob). Evan and Brandon are my 2 boys and you all know McGolfer, and Bob(friend). Everyone was early, which turned out to be good. We had enough food, gear(including Mr. "Bubbles"), ice(500lbs), to stay 5 days. Bait could have been a problem, because all Ballyhoo gone as of 6pm Friday.
Top off tanks in Freeport at a small place south side of ICW across from BB&T(no wait and very nice folks). It was weekend crowed trying to catch bait 20-30 miles out, but did manage a few bluerunners. Next stop was rig about 75 miles out, only 1 other boat, where we had a easy time catching a few AJ's. Next stop Boomvang, where we slowed trolled live bluerunners w/o any hits. Next we tried Texas?(new rig about 5 miles from Boomvang)and nothing. Time for a crew vote, and as I anticipated, we pulled up and ran to Nancen(10 miles). It is now 8pm, and we got the rest of our chum bait for the the night.
We ended up with several BF and only 3 YF in the box. plus a couple of ribbon? fish. Biggest YF went to Brandon at 52lbs(I was sleeping so I'll take their word). Jigging did not work for the bigger fish, but thanks Ric for the tips on chumming. We quit fishing about 330am due to ice problem(water got in the box). Only 2 other boats out here(big sportfishing boat and a "little"contender). I don't think they caught much, per the radio. I was suprised how few of boats we saw past 40 miles, but between the 3 deep rigs we only saw 3 other boats the entire time.
Left at 5am toward GYB, stopped at a rig in 240', and only caught 1 nice snapper. Next stop was some rocks in 100', but nothing there, next stop was wreck in 90' and Ric manager to show off a little more, by pulling 2 nice ling off the bottom, and into the ice chest.
Got home about 3:30pm, clean everything, had plenty of filets(even for the neighbors). Overall great trip and great crew, and we did manage to get all that food down, and still have room for pie when we finished everything.

·
From the old school
1,406 Posts
what a nice trip

Man I can't wait for my boys get old enough to do that. Glad to see McGolfer still gets out on the water and no crowd
joker

·
Registered
127 Posts
just try to help the old man

Get bent (Evan)

The texas rig he was talking about was the ocean star and, they were not ribbon fish but rainbow runners close enough......The four AJ ranged from 25 -55 lb and the YFT ranged form 20-50's..... We hooked up to 4 YFT and landed 3 with one being cut off at the boat by the my braided line Sorry rick....Rick did manage some nice lings both the aroud 40+ inches....all-in-all it was a great trip and rick taught me some new tricks of the trade thanks

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
it was really nice to get to fish a trip and not have to worry about all the things that being in your own boat keeps you tied up with. thanks to the evan,brandon,marty,and bob for letting catch a ride out to the deep blue and getting to fish long and hard. i still love being on a glacier bay. what a great fishing boat for our seas....rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts