2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna make a 36 hour trip to boomvang in June. I’m on a 2700 maycraft with twin Suzuki 200HP 140 gallon tank and I’m getting 2.1 mpg @ 4500 rpm and 32mph. Besides the obvious. Life raft EPIRB and safety gear. How much extra fuel do y’all think I should plan on bringing? I was thinking of leaving at midnight and rolling 8-9mph and till daylight fishing all day then rolling back slow in the evening. Anything else I should plan for? Thanks

·
Trust me, I'm a professional.
1,405 Posts
I would take an additional 30 gallons of fuel. You want at least 300 miles worth of range out there in case something crappy happens with the weather. If you get 2.1 in a loaded cruise, count on getting about 0.7 in rough and snotty seas.

I’d adda sat phone and enough food/water for a few days too. Extra fuel filter(s). Running twins, I’d personally have a spare set of props pitched low enough to bring it in on a single. 25mph beats 7 every day.

·
Former 300x / Blue Fury
37 Posts
Have you been out there before?
If not, I’d definitely go with someone who has made the trip a few times so you can see how it works.

i made 4 trips to the floaters last year and the longest trip was 29 hours.

I have a 310 gallon fuel capacity, but running a fast cruise loaded I burn 1.4 @ 42-43 mph. I have a 100 gallon bladder I fill up to 50 gallons in it and run it till it’s empty. Then I’ll switch to my tanks and every time I’ve never needed the bladder luckily. Just a comfort factor really.

on the spare props thing, I actually blew a gear case at nancen in November. It was really rough, water was cold and I didn’t have a spare set of props but wouldn’t chance it even with a smaller pitch. Ya, you can run 25 mph but what if your otherLU goes? 7-9 mph is better than drifting. It took 13 hours to get in but thank the lord for AP.

·
1,405 Posts
If not, I’d definitely go with someone who has made the trip a few times so you can see how it works.

I have a 310 gallon fuel capacity, but running a fast cruise loaded I burn 1.4 @ 42-43 mph. I have a 100 gallon bladder I fill up to 50 gallons in it and run it till it’s empty. Then I’ll switch to my tanks and every time I’ve never needed the bladder luckily. Just a comfort factor really.

on the spare props thing, I actually blew a gear case at nancen in November. It was really rough, water was cold and I didn’t have a spare set of props but wouldn’t chance it even with a smaller pitch. Ya, you can run 25 mph but what if your otherLU goes? 7-9 mph is better than drifting. It took 13 hours to get in but thank the lord for AP.
If one has two engine failures out there, either they aren’t living right or they need to perform better maintenance and inspections to their equipment.

That being said, I keep a wet suit on the boat at all times so the cold water is less of a factor. Rough water certainly makes changing props more risky but it’s not impossible to do safely. Tie off all tools, props, washers and nuts to safety lines in case of butter fingers. I would have a full set of hubs, washers and nuts too.

Either was, it’s best to buddy boat or take a seasoned floater fisherman the first few times.

·
Registered
27ft Seahunt Gamefish 27
3,527 Posts
The above advice is spot on. As far as when you're leaving, that depends on what you plan to target. I have a 27ft Seahunt and get 2.1 regularly fully loaded until I add the 50 gallon fuel bladder and then it drops to 1.6-1.7mpg until I unload the fuel from the bladder. I typically leave the dock in the morning before 11:00am. That gives me time to get out there, dump fuel, troll for a while before sunset and then fish for tuna all night. In the morning, depending on how we've done, I'll troll until 8:00-9:00 and then head in. Make sure you have bean bags to sleep in, plus it helps to have a crew of 4 so you can have two people fishing at all times while two others can catch naps. It goes without saying, but unless you've caught and handled large fish, don't go with an inexperienced crew...pulling in a 100lb tuna, a large wahoo or catching a billfish can be dangerous if not done correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I plan on a buddy boat and experienced anglers. I’ve been 110 miles out and I’m comfortable. This will be the farthest I’ve gone in my own boat. As to the spare props thing. Motors are 2021s and I don’t ever skimp on maintenance I feel like if I blow a lower my best bet is to baby the other running slow even if means a 12hr ride back at 9mph. Bean bags are on deck for sure. And I’m using a garmin inreach paired with a 8610 head unit instead of a sat phone. I think I’m planning on 60 extra gallons gives me around a 400 mile range out of POC.

·
1,405 Posts
I plan on a buddy boat and experienced anglers. I’ve been 110 miles out and I’m comfortable. This will be the farthest I’ve gone in my own boat. As to the spare props thing. Motors are 2021s and I don’t ever skimp on maintenance I feel like if I blow a lower my best bet is to baby the other running slow even if means a 12hr ride back at 9mph. Bean bags are on deck for sure. And I’m using a garmin inreach paired with a 8610 head unit instead of a sat phone. I think I’m planning on 60 extra gallons gives me around a 400 mile range out of POC.
Do you know your bearing from POC big jetties to any of the floaters or are you running multiple MFDs? The reason I ask is because I learned how to navigate with a compass, a map and a watch before I ever ran offshore. Had to come in from tequila once without electronics. It’s not like 10-20 years ago when one could rig bounce their way in.

·
Team Purple Haze
1,881 Posts
Wow. You must be living right unlike the rest of us sinners. All boats have moving parts. They WILL fail and always at the worst and unexpected times regardless of maintenance/living right.

If one has two engine failures out there, either they aren’t living right or they need to perform better maintenance and inspections to their equipment.

That being said, I keep a wet suit on the boat at all times so the cold water is less of a factor. Rough water certainly makes changing props more risky but it’s not impossible to do safely. Tie off all tools, props, washers and nuts to safety lines in case of butter fingers. I would have a full set of hubs, washers and nuts too.

Either was, it’s best to buddy boat or take a seasoned floater fisherman the first few times.

·
Former 300x / Blue Fury
37 Posts

I totally disagree. Any offshore boat owner knows that things break at the most random time. If you honestly think that running on plane on a single engine application is "OK" on a loaded offshore boat? No way, gear cases fail all the time even with the proper maintenance. Mine had zero water intrusion and Yamaha had no answer of why it failed. Planning on a single engine is dumb, that is a lot of stress on the LU even with a lower pitched prop.

If I spun a hub, ya I would change it because I carry a spare.

But hey, different strokes for different folks. Sounds like you must have a big boat for all the things you like to bring. Our 13 hour ride in wasn't fun but we had plenty of beer, good friends and tunes.

I am glad you know how to use a compass though... LOL

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
All good stuff mentioned but in a whole this sounds like a waisted trip. Slow boat from dock at midnight and coming back the next evening? Typically yft are caught at night there. Do you plan on targeting billfish?

·
1,405 Posts
I totally disagree. Any offshore boat owner knows that things break at the most random time. If you honestly think that running on plane on a single engine application is "OK" on a loaded offshore boat? No way, gear cases fail all the time even with the proper maintenance. Mine had zero water intrusion and Yamaha had no answer of why it failed. Planning on a single engine is dumb, that is a lot of stress on the LU even with a lower pitched prop.

If I spun a hub, ya I would change it because I carry a spare.

But hey, different strokes for different folks. Sounds like you must have a big boat for all the things you like to bring. Our 13 hour ride in wasn't fun but we had plenty of beer, good friends and tunes.

I am glad you know how to use a compass though... LOL
I’m not sure why this somehow offends you. As far as gear case stress is concerned, Maximum thrust pressure is just that, whether it’s WOT on twins doing 55mph or WOT on a single at 30mph. Also, the engine isn’t going gain any HP.

I’m glad you had fun on your 13hr ride. I’m not that patient nor does my boat hold that much beer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Do you have radar? I have a 25' Grady and I just got a Garmin 24" radardome installed. While I don't have near the fuel to get to the floaters, nor would I want to on a single engine boat, having the radar will give me great peace of mind should summer storms pop up in my area when offshore for snapper in a few months up to 50 miles offshore.

·
Aquapolis
64 Posts
Do you have radar? I have a 25' Grady and I just got a Garmin 24" radardome installed. While I don't have near the fuel to get to the floaters, nor would I want to on a single engine boat, having the radar will give me great peace of mind should summer storms pop up in my area when offshore for snapper in a few months up to 50 miles offshore.
Buy the Sirius Weather Radar, hand over fist more useful offshore 50+ miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very good information; appreciated everyone sharing their experience and knowledge . I make 6 trips a year with either Williams or Galveston Charters on their Tuna trips. Traveling the distances to reach Spars or Drill ships to catch YFT is a lot of fun.
Having two boats I fish out 56 miles at times. I would also like to make the trip for Tuna in my 26' Center Console w/twin 225s,. 185 gallons of fuel.. Two VHF radios, Single MFD, Radar and auto pilot. In good weather I feel comfortable making the trip. I agree a quality compass is #1, know you course of travel expected departure and return times file a float plan. I make notes with a wax pen on radio box door, course speed and times,
We fish offshore out of Freeport or Matagorda.
Is there a resource for renting additional gear: fuel bladder, life raft, other safety items for an over night trip?
I would like to make a trip either for tuna or swords, and would like to find others to pair up with. It's the only way to make one of these trips comfortably.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have 18xd radar and Xm weather. Everything is networked. Helps when you can see a pop up storm and make the necessary adjustments.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All good stuff mentioned but in a whole this sounds like a waisted trip. Slow boat from dock at midnight and coming back the next evening? Typically yft are caught at night there. Do you plan on targeting billfish?
So the more I think about it I’m gonna leave during the day planning on being at the floaters at sunset. Fish all night then make our way back during the day. If I hook a marlin it will be by accident.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you know your bearing from POC big jetties to any of the floaters or are you running multiple MFDs? The reason I ask is because I learned how to navigate with a compass, a map and a watch before I ever ran offshore. Had to come in from tequila once without electronics. It’s not like 10-20 years ago when one could rig bounce their way in.
I always mark my reverse heading when leaving. Everything on the boat is electronic to include the engines (fly by wire) so if I had a complete system failure the back up garmin handheld and EPIRB is my lifeline. I wouldn’t be able to even try to navigate back via compass.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very good information; appreciated everyone sharing their experience and knowledge . I make 6 trips a year with either Williams or Galveston Charters on their Tuna trips. Traveling the distances to reach Spars or Drill ships to catch YFT is a lot of fun.
Having two boats I fish out 56 miles at times. I would also like to make the trip for Tuna in my 26' Center Console w/twin 225s,. 185 gallons of fuel.. Two VHF radios, Single MFD, Radar and auto pilot. In good weather I feel comfortable making the trip. I agree a quality compass is #1, know you course of travel expected departure and return times file a float plan. I make notes with a wax pen on radio box door, course speed and times,
We fish offshore out of Freeport or Matagorda.
Is there a resource for renting additional gear: fuel bladder, life raft, other safety items for an over night trip?
I would like to make a trip either for tuna or swords, and would like to find others to pair up with. It's the only way to make one of these trips comfortably.
Always looking for buddy boats. It’s good to have someone to call that my have something you don’t.

·
1,405 Posts
I always mark my reverse heading when leaving. Everything on the boat is electronic to include the engines (fly by wire) so if I had a complete system failure the back up garmin handheld and EPIRB is my lifeline. I wouldn’t be able to even try to navigate back via compass.
Get a compass on that boat. When you’re on track running out, write down your bearing, that way you’ll know that your return bearing is 180 from that. Dead reckoning is a bit of a lost art but comes in handy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts