2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K question for all your grillers out there...

I have been cooking them hard dadgum things for a while and for anybody that has...you know that they are a dickens to cook THE RIGHT WAY!

Anywhom...I brine them in a solution of water, sugar and NON-Iodized salt but the brine recipe says it is a Cardinal Sin and not to let them sit in the brine for more than 30 minutes. Can somebody explain that to me?

When Brined and beaten flat they come our pretty darn good, I just wonder if they would benefit from soaking in the Brine longer.

Lets hear it please!

Dale

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
I have a recipe for bone-on (split) chicken breasts - it calls for no more than 1 hour in the brine.

do you brine first, or beat them first? :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
I use Alton Brown's OJ brine and do not hammer them. You won't be sorry...and you can leave them in the brine longer!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beat it...

Beaaaaattt it!

Yeah I wrap em in Saran Wrap, beat em flat and then put them in the brine.

Like I said, they turn our pretty good when done the way I am doin' em......The sugar helps to seal everything in, I just wondered about the brine time and why they say not to do them more than 30 minutes. I know when doing a ham or pork butt, ya brine for 24 hours or more.

Thanks everyone!

Dale

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have never had to soak mine... i just get them breasts grilled to presentation color,wrapem' and top shelf it for a little while.Let the natural juice and what ever you rub them with steam for a while.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
Beaaaaattt it!

Yeah I wrap em in Saran Wrap, beat em flat and then put them in the brine.

Like I said, they turn our pretty good when done the way I am doin' em......The sugar helps to seal everything in, I just wondered about the brine time and why they say not to do them more than 30 minutes. I know when doing a ham or pork butt, ya brine for 24 hours or more.

Thanks everyone!

Dale
did some quick reading - brining time seems to vary with the concentration of salt (more salt, less time needed), and acidity of your brine (more acid = mushy meat)

chicken parts/pieces only need an hour to absorb the brine. whole chickens need longer.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speckle

Hey Man, Thanks a lot!

I have always felt that an hour was about right! Now I know. You da man!

I cook these things on an electric, ribbed indoor griddle. 325-350 degrees for about 4 mins either side and done. It is a good meal for me and the Mrs' cuz we are counting calories. I do bet they would be good seared and wrapped on the grill outside though...I am just not going to do that 3-5 times a week. Momma likes lemmon pepper and I the Tony's lite...less salt.

Thanks again Speckle I preciate' it!

Dale

·
Team Hi-Rev
1,721 Posts
Can I ask why ya'll are brining and tenderizing chicken breasts just for grilling? I've never done that so I'm not sure what it does for you, but here's what I do and mine come out nice, juicy and tender everytime. I just season em, or put em in a marinade for about 20 minutes, then grill em hot like a steak for about 10-12 minutes (depending on the thickness), flipping them over several times. That's it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LBS

Ya should try the brine a time or two.....Seriously. It makes em to the point of not even having to chew them, they are that tender.

In my experience, they usually always turn out dry or not cooked evenly straight out of the package...raw in the middle of the thickest portion and shoe leather on the thin end. That's why beating them SOMEWHAT flat aids in cooking. Now when I say flat...I am talking about beating the meaty portion down to more or less match the tapered, thin side. I'd say a 1/2" or so. That's also why ya only have to cook em for about 4 mins a side.

I have done em for a long time so I kinda have a feel for what works and what doesn't. Then again, I am far from being and expert grill'er!

Hope this MIGHT of explained. I bet you'rs are great too!

Dale

·
Registered
13 Posts
I place a few chicken breasts in non-fat Italian dressing to marinate for a few hours before they hit the grill. I also add some Tony's right before we place them on the grill. Pretty much how i made it through college. Well that and alot of Keystone light. :cheers:

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
you're welcome Lazzer - I need to get back to watching my calories. ;)

try Mrs. Dash lemon pepper seasoning. It's got the best flavor of any I tried, and NO SALT! since you are brining anyway, you're adding the salt.

I pound mine out like you do, about 1/2" thick, rub down with a little olive oil and then liberally season them with the Mrs Dash. I leave them in the fridge for 24 hours like that, then grill them. I'm going to try brining them and see if I like it better that way.

·
Dont hate the player... hate the game...
2,093 Posts
this isnt rocket science... :p
clayton257 is the closest, I soak them over night in fat-free italian dressing and cook then, odds are you're over cooking them,. done correctly they are super tender and juicey....

·
Jetty Fisher
679 Posts
I have never had to soak mine... i just get them breasts grilled to presentation color,wrapem' and top shelf it for a little while.Let the natural juice and what ever you rub them with steam for a while.
X2 This is the way I always do my breasts! I have never had anyone turn there nose up yet.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
marinate in fresh garlic, black pepper and a dash of salt, maybe some rosemary

before grilling , layer on some olive oil both sides

plan b ..........add .fresh lime juice and cumino, skip the rosemary

·
Registered
232 Posts
I marinate them in italian dressing too (but not fat free), at least an hour but longer is better. Use the gas grill. I've cooked them enough times that I can tell by feel when it is time to take them off the heat. My family would be happy if I cooked them every other night. Their favorite meal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts